Soup Wins! (Mexican Street Corn Soup)

On the day after Thanksgiving I was craving something healthy.  Kevin was craving soup.  I perused my soup board on Pinterest and read him the recipes aloud.  When I said Mexican Street Corn Soup, he jumped and said that could be perfect!  We went to Whole Foods and got a snack (I got a much needed salad) and got all the necessary ingredients.  Except for cotija cheese and miso, as they were offensively expensive; and I decided to leave out fish sauce because it sounded weird.  We decided to add some chicken to make it heartier as well.  

We made it and it was just delicious, and the toppings truly ensured that.  Roasting the corn was delightful and I am glad I roasted it all.  This would have been a totally different soup with the miso and fish sauce; I am glad I left them out.  I think the cotija would have been a better garnish but not totally necessary. Anyway, make this and enjoy!  You can totally used canned or frozen corn, I was just being a cheap overachiever. In the end, this turned out to be more soup for him than healthy for me, but that was fine with me in the end!

 Full recipe to follow the montage.

Mexican Street Corn Soup
The perfect soup for a cold evening.
Mexican Street Corn Soup
The cast.  I took these on an iPhone X!
Mexican Street Corn Soup
Chop up the aromatics
Mexican Street Corn Soup
Charred corn is one of my new favorite things!
Mexican Street Corn Soup
This smelled so good!
Mexican Street Corn Soup
Add in your liquids
Mexican Street Corn Soup
I used the immersion blender to break up the corn.
Mexican Street Corn Soup
The toppings alone are so delicious!
Mexican Street Corn Soup
Pin it and save it for a rainy day!

Mexican Street Corn Soup (Inspired by Closet Cooking)
2 tablespoons butter
6 cups corn
1 onion, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth

Toppings:
1/2 cup sour cream
1 lime, juice and zest
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
1/4 cup crumbled cheese (preferably cotija)
1/4 cup crumbled bacon
sliced avocado
sliced jalapeno



Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the corn, toss and let it sit cooking until lightly charred, about 6-10 minutes, mix it up and let it char again, about 6-10 minutes, before setting aside.
Add the onions and jalapeno and cook until the onions are tender, about 10-15 minutes, before adding the garlic and cumin and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
Add the broth and most of corn (save some for garnish), bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes before pureeing, partially or completely, with a stick blender or in a blender or food processor.
Season with salt and pepper and your choice of toppings.  If you want to add chicken, do that!  I seasoned some thighs with salt and pepper and cooked in a pan.  I added the chicken in with the broth and corn.

Happy Cooking!

Missy


No comments