Those darn corn tortillas made me do it! (Enchilada Casserole Bake with Hidden Spinach)

I had some corn tortillas wasting away in my fridge.  I love you corn tortillas, but man do you break easily!  I wanted to make some enchiladas with my homemade enchilada sauce, but I knew they would tear.  I decided to keep them flat and make a casserole instead.  Kevin was shocked that I used the word casserole when he asked what was for dinner.  I am not usually a casserole kind of girl!

Well y'all this was just delicious and really not that terrible for you!  Dare I even say if you leave off the garnish, a picky kid would eat it!  The homemade enchilada sauce really makes this dish and I will again beg you to make it.  And don't be tempted to use flour tortillas, the flavor of corn also really makes this.  I had the leftovers for lunch the next day and it was even better!  Make this, your family will love it!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

enchilada casserole bake
I may have burnt the cheese because I was distracted.  Who doesn't love crunchy cheese?
enchilada casserole bake
The cast on a bright and sunny day.

enchilada casserole bake
Spinach, and all leafy greens for that matter, really are deceiving.  This is just the first cup!

enchilada casserole bake
And look how it just wilts away!

enchilada casserole bake
Assembly line time!

enchilada casserole bake
Just keep layering!

enchilada casserole bake
As I said, leave this part off for the kiddos, you can add yours after!

enchilada casserole bake
Mine disappeared in the over broiling, so I added more!

enchilada casserole bake
Pin it, and winner winner casserole dinner!

Enchilada Casserole Bake with Hidden Spinach
Serves 4

1/4 cup olive or avocado oil
1/2 lb. ground turkey
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
Good couple of cranks of fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 can black beans
1/2 can corn
1 can spicy green salsa, or use a can of rotel
2 cups of spinach
1 can enchilada sauce or make your own
10-12 Corn tortillas 
1 bag cheddar cheese
Chopped cilantro and green onion for garnish

Heat a skillet over medium heat and add oil.  Once heated add the turkey and seasonings and cook until the turkey looks cooked through.  Add beans, corn  and salsa or Rotel and stir to combine.  Add spinach and cook until wilted and combined, stirring often.  Turn off heat and set aside.

Preheat oven to 375. Place a thin layer of enchilada sauce at the bottom of an 8x8 casserole dish.  Add three or four tortillas to cover.  Add about 1/3 of meat mixture, then cover with 1/3 of enchilada sauce and 1/3 of cheese. Repeat tortilla, meat, sauce and cheese until you run out.  Add garnish and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.  Switch over to broil, and broil about 2 minutes to get some color on the cheese. 

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments