A savory breakfast always wins (Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Frittata)

Savory breakfasts are my jam.  I am always ordering huevos rancheros or an omelet while others do pancakes or french toast at brunch.  Give me savory over sweet any day!  This mindset helps me when I meal plan with my Covey Rise produce haul each week.  Sometimes my usual breakfast go to's (kale and blueberries) are not present and I have to find breakfast in the bunch that is is not so obvious!

Once such week I decided to use the sweet potatoes for breakfast.  The Swiss chard and that could make a good hash I supposed, but then I found this veggie packed frittata from the Culinary Institute of AmericaMy old friend who is a really awesome chef went there, so I assumed it had to be good!

This was a bit labor intensive, but so worth it.  I will say that the chard was very overpowering, so I would cut down on that next time.  I may have used too much anyway, I just used my whole bunch!  This would be an excellent dish for company or a great Meatless Monday meal with a salad.   Try it out, you will probably love it! Full recipe to follow the montage.

Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Frittata
Look at all those veggies!
Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Frittata
The cast.  I used some banana peppers in lieu of the yellow pepper
Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Frittata
Roast those peppers!
Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Frittata
The stems may have been the overpowering agent.  I like bitter greens so it didn't bother me.
Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Frittata
It is flat amazing how much water greens retain.  Like a late into her pregnancy lady!
Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Frittata
Saute them on up!
Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Frittata
Look at those pretty roasted peppers!
Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Frittata
One layer down!
Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Frittata
And after a ride in the oven, she is crispy and ready!
Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Frittata
Look at those delightful layers!

Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Frittata
  • 1 red pepper, roasted and thinly sliced
Sweet Potato and Swiss Chard Frittata (Adapted from Culinary Institute of America)
1 red pepper, roasted and thinly sliced
1 yellow pepper, roasted and thinly sliced
2 pounds (about 3) sweet potatoes
5 whole eggs
5 egg whites
Salt and black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large Spanish onion, sliced with the grain
1 bunch (about 6 ounces) Swiss chard, blanched
2 chopped green onions

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  • Bake potatoes in the oven until they are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Allow them to cool at room temperature. When the potatoes have cooled, peel them and cut into 1/4-inch slices.  
  • Lower oven temp to 350. 
  • Char the peppers on an open fire or under the broiler. Steam them for 5 minutes in a bag or covered bowl, and peel. Seed them, then cut into 1/4-inch strips. 
  • Beat eggs and egg whites and season with salt and black pepper.  
  • Heat half the oil in a large, 10-inch sauté pan. Add the onions and sauté until brown. Season onions with salt and pepper and allow them to cool. 
  • Return sauté pan to stove on medium heat, and add the remaining olive oil. Add a layer of potatoes, followed by 1/3 of the onions, peppers, Swiss chard, and green onion. Pour a third of the egg mixture over the vegetables. Repeat until all of the ingredients are in the pan. You may need to push the layers of the frittata down gently so that all of the ingredients are covered by the egg mixture. 
  • Place the pan in a 350-degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the eggs are all set and the top is golden brown.
  • Slide onto a warm serving platter and let cool for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
Happy Cooking!

Missy

PS, vacation makes it hard to get back in the groove.  Hope to have a recap of Mexico up soon! Missed y'all!

No comments