Yummy in a pinch! (Spicy yellow beans with shallots and garlic)

I had a planned dinner with my long lost friend Monica recently and we made a deal that she would make the protein and I would make a veggie.  You know, because I get a Covey Rise Haul every week.  Hope you aren't getting sick of that!  Anyway, it was the day I was to pick up my haul, so I needed a recipe that could be made quickly after work.  I saw the yellow beans in my bag and decided they would be great if I used this delightful recipe from the Clever Carrot.

This was super quick, full of flavor and healthy!  I made this again when I had my cousin dinner party and it was devoured.  Your green beans stay a but crunchy, and there is great flavor with the the garlic, shallots and lemon.

So make this, I know you have some green beans heading your way this time of year! 

How pretty are these beans!?
The cast.  I just added the peppers because I went to the showing of my house I now own and the peppers were there waiting for me!
Saute up those goodies!


Spicy Yellow Beans with Shallots and Garlic (borrowed from the Clever Carrot)

Ingredients
¾ lb. yellow haricots verts (aka green beans), trimmed (I've used green ones too)
1 large shallot, sliced
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
¼- 1 tsp. dried red chili flakes (depending on preference)
1 lemon
olive oil
coarse, flaky sea salt

In a large saute pan, warm a splash of olive oil over medium-low heat.  Add the yellow beans, shallots, garlic and chili flakes. Season with salt.  Saute the beans until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add a small splash of water to the pan, and place a lid on top.  Cook the beans on low for about 3-5 minutes. Tip: If your heat is too high, the outside will overcook, causing the inside to remain crunchy.
Remove the lid, and continue to cook until all of the moisture has evaporated and the beans are crisp tender.  Add a small squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Adjust with more lemon and salt as desired.
Serve warm.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments