Recapping the weekend-Eerie travels to Texas

Hi friends!  Happy Tuesday.  I got back yesterday from a visit to see my long lost boyfriend.  I flew, so it was really weird.  I was so happy to see him!  All we did was eat, take walks, eat well and just be.  We are such a good influence on each other.  My positive energy makes him inspired and his easy going nature makes this crazy lady sit still.  Ying was missing Yang and it was a much needed visit.  Here we go with a low key recap.

I had an N95 laying around that my daddy bought me for yard work!
My sister dropped me off at the airport. It was unreal.  No one around but the workers.  I walked right up to the Southwest counter to check my bag.  Masks and no touching as expected.  I was off to security and I was the only person.  They did not scan my boarding pass, just entered my driver's license number and found me.  I had to take my mask off to show them it was me.

I walked through the empty airport and was shocked to find Cafe du Monde open.  I almost got an order of beignets, but didn't want powdered sugar all over me.  I got a coffee with a straw instead.


There were 8 people on my flight.  I originally had a direct flight, but they canceled that one and rerouted me through St. Louis.  We all spread out and settled in.  I made a big mistake.  I read Untamed by Glennon Doyle.  I finished it and cried my eyes out.  Not fun to do when it is allergy season and you are wearing a mask and glasses.  I had to go to the bathroom and blow my nose.  I didn't want anyone to think I was sick.  Good lord that woman speaks to my soul.  Read it!

All the feels!
I had a layover in St. Louis.  It was just as eerie.  No one when you got off the plane and no noise or typical airport smell.  I was dying to take my mask off, so I went and washed my hands.

I wonder if this was up before corona hit?
I smelled something good as I left the restroom.  Coffee!  I thought it would be Starbucks, but alas it was Dunkin Dounts.  We don't really have those down south and they don't have alternative milk, but when in Rome!  They were not allowing anyone to fill up their own reusable cup.

Worth taking the mask off for a bit!
And finally, I arrived.  And since I came from Missouri instead of New Orleans direct, I did not have to fill out the quarantine form and promise to quarantine.  Not that I was planning on going anywhere but Kevin and his roommate's house! This made me nervous like I was doing something wrong, and therefore I was shaking like a leaf when I saw Kevin.

He was cracking up at how shaky I was, then I told him about all the coffee I had on an empty stomach and he understood.  We spent the afternoon getting reacquainted, eating Freebirds Burritos and just relaxing. It was so nice.  We vegged out on the couch that night, drinking wine and watching old LSU stuff on ESPN.

Friday morning, I set up my home office while he worked from home. He made me a sandwich for lunch that was bliss.  It was so nice to feel semi normal and have someone around!  He packed in a full day of work by 2, but I had to go till 5.  He started up the smoker to do some ribs while I finished working.  Once his roommate got home, we made some guac and had happy hour on the porch.  

I ain't even hiding him and his feet are all you are getting in this post, hee hee.
Later we had the ribs (no pics because it was dark and I was starving) and settled in for Waco on Netflix.  That incident has always intrigued me and after watching it, I am even more intrigued.  It is definitely worth a watch.

Saturday we had coffee and lounged around and then went to get the last of his outstanding supplies in the field and bring them back to the headquarters.  I went along because I was promised tacos.  And gas station ones at that.  If you know anything about Texas, you know you can always get a good taco at a gas station!

They may not look pretty!
But they sure tasted that way.


It was a bit of a drive so I had the seat warmers on to help my back that is screaming for a proper office chair.  I suggested we listen to the new Fiona Apple album since everyone was talking about it.  It was quite the experience.  Very distorted and underproduced and she repeats herself a lot.  Very out of the ordinary, but there were a few good ones.

The name of the album makes me giggle!
We got back and finished the last episode of Waco and then made diner style smash burgers.  It was fun to play around with the method and make some of them animal style with mustard and onions.

Nothing like a cheeseburger!
My low carb plate.  I believe this is when I started complaining about needing veggies in my life.
His roommate left us alone for a date night so we snuggled on the couch with bourbon and a movie.  How the times have caused us to appreciate the couch and drinks!  We picked a weird one, Revolutionary Road.  It was a depressing, but we enjoyed the acting.

Sunday was a very lazy day on the couch.  We ate leftovers and watched Knives Out.  I really enjoyed it.  I was getting stir crazy, so I made Kevin take me on a walk.  We went on a lovely 3 mile walk through Trinity University and the historic neighborhood around it.  It was nice to get some fresh air and have some alone time.  

When we got back, I showered and was greeted by, "You good with pizza for dinner?"  I swear this temporary living situation is turning these two back into college students.  I agreed but asked for a salad on the side.  It was so nice to have some veggies.  We had dinner and then watched the first two episodes of The Last Dance.  I enjoyed it more than he did.  I will continue watching!

Yesterday I said goodbye and packed up.  Since his office is shutting down soon, he gave me an extra monitor to bring home so I can finally set up a proper office since it's been a month and no end in sight!  We said a tearful goodbye and he promised he would be home soon.  My flight on the way back was direct still, thank goodness!

I got home and was so happy to see my pup.  I set up the office and ordered a proper chair that will hopefully be here soon.

So happy to have two screens again!
Well wow, I was more wordy with this boring weekend post than I used to be with my epic weekends, lol!  Traveling was not as scary as I thought and now I wish I had gone sooner!  Back to solo quarantine; it will be a lot better now with that break!  Thanks for reading, how was your weekend?  Any travel plans in the future you plan on keeping?

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments