Recapping the Weekend - Festing at Home While Tackling the Garden


Hi friends!  Happy Monday.  Back to the grind of working from home and trying not to go stir crazy.  It was sad this weekend not being able to attend Jazz Fest in person, but luckily, our local music radio station, WWOZ, was playing some best performances from over the years.  They are calling it "Festing in place."  The Fest  starts back up Thursday, give it a listen!

I live two blocks away from the Fairgrounds where it is held and my house is always Jazz Fest Central.  I told myself I was going to get the outside of my house finished before Jazz Fest.  I didn't get it finished till day 3, but hey, no one was here to judge!

I ordered some plants from my favorite local plant store, Perinos, and they delivered these beauties to me on Saturday.


Keeping it simple with dwarf gardenia, agapanthus and Japanese boxwood.

Here is the very sad before.
Here is the midpoint.  I did it all myself thanks to some grunge music in my ears!

And the after!  What a transition!
I cannot wait until those gardenias bloom and I get that beautiful smell.  The planting project took me three hours and my watch congratulated me for burning over 1000 calories!  I decided to treat myself to my new favorite beer from Urban South in the backyard.

Nothing like a Snoball, but so good!
I realize I never showed off my backyard makeover on the blog!  I hired someone to do the back because it was a tragic mess that I could not undertake myself.  A local company left a flyer in my mailbox advertising lawn care and projects.  I called him first to get an estimate, and he came in under my budget for even more than I wanted!  Sold! 

Before
After!  Seriously so much better! And no more banana trees!
I decided to Fest in place in the backyard and do some grilling.  I have a charcoal grill/smoker from PK Grills .  I bought it for practicing for Hogs for the Cause.  Patience is not my strong suit and man you have to be patient with this thing!

Not ready to dump yet!
 So I made myself be patient and just listened to the fest and ignored the grill.  I even broke out my fest gear!

My sister's best friend made these for us!
That patience paid off!

After that, I read for awhile while listening to WWOZ with this cutie!
I woke up Sunday and my back was killing me from all the yard work, so I skipped exercise and laid low with some coffee and the New York Times.

Sunday afternoon, my friend Laura invited me over for some social distant Festing at home.  It was nice to have some company!

Well, there you have it.  Now that the outside of my house is pretty, it is time to move on to my master to do list that Lindsay inspired me to make.  Number one is checking the house for mud tunnels as it is termite swarming season in a few weeks.  Does that happen where you live?  It is so gross.  

Hope you have a great week,  Stay well!

Happy Cooking!

Missy



No comments