At least my man liked it! (Marinated Chinese Eggplants)

Every time there is eggplant in my Covey Rise share, Gentleman Caller always hoped there would the Asian kind so we could make a recipe he was dying to try, but could not find. We searched and searched and finally found it after googling what we thought was the title, "the only recipe I've ever asked a chef for."

This was everything he's ever wanted in his eggplant.  I was not so impressed.  But that is because I hate seafood that isn't tuna or seasoned to death to mask the fishy taste.  The fish sauce was very prevalent to me, but I have a really good palate, I can taste a bay leaf on command no matter how early you take it out and can spot mayo in anything.

So if you are not a freak like me, you will love this.  It makes eggplant seem like meat.  I think this would be good if you grilled it or pan seared it after marinating too. Please ignore my weirdness and try this, you know I just can't help but be truthful!

Bill Kim’s Marinated Chinese Eggplants
The cast, ready for action.
Bill Kim’s Marinated Chinese Eggplants
It has been awhile since I fried anything, it felt weird!
Bill Kim’s Marinated Chinese Eggplants
And then you toss it and go!  Pretty easy!

Bill Kim’s Marinated Chinese Eggplants (From The Take Out)

3 Chinese or Japanese eggplants, diced
1 cup Nuoc Cham sauce (see recipe below)
1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
1 lemon, halved
Canola oil for frying

Dice the Chinese eggplants, skin and all (don’t use standard eggplants, which have a much thicker skin and taste more bitter) into cubes slightly smaller than an inch. Heat a heavy-bottomed pan with canola oil to 320 degrees Fahrenheit. Drop the diced eggplants into the hot oil and fry for about two minutes (or until they float). After removing the eggplants, fry the sliced shallots in the hot oil until crispy.

Add the Nuoc Cham sauce, sesame oil, cilantro and stir to mix everything together. Squeeze the lemon on top. The key, Kim says, is to let it marinate overnight in the fridge. Top with fried shallot before serving.

Nuoc Cham Sauce
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/2 cup water
1 clove garlic, minced
2 green Thai chilies, minced, with seeds (I used a tsp of serrano condiment instead)

Combine the brown sugar, lime juice, fish sauce, water, garlic, and chilies in a small bowl and whisk until the sugar dissolves. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 2 months. Or freeze in standard ice-cube trays, then transfer the cubes (2 tablespoons each) to plastic freezer bags and freeze for up to 2 months.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments