I was planning on my greens and pickle meat to last me the whole week. As usual, when I make plans, the universe has other ideas! I had to make use of what I had around in the kitchen. I'm not a well stocked pantry girl, but I am a product of a long line of cooks that can make something out of nothing. I saw the rest of my chopped kale salad from Costco that I've been having for lunch this week and immediately thought slaw. Half an avocado still looked good in the fridge. I have an absurd amount of chicken thighs in my freezer and seem to always have leftover corn tortillas in the pantry since they come in such a big bag. Tacos it is!
Boneless skinless Chicken thighs (I say use one more than the amount of people you have)
Packet of taco seasoning
A bag of some sort of slaw mix (broccoli slaw is my fave, or a bag of coleslaw or leftover chopped kale salad)
One lime, juiced
1 cup ranch dressing (I used yogurt based) (because I hate mayo)
I like to do my corn tortillas crunchy when they are a little past their prime. I followed this recipe. I don't have a microwave so I skipped that step. They still come out great!
- Preheat oven to 375
- use a pastry brush to brush the tortillas with a drizzle of olive oil on both sides
- drape tortillas over two oven rack bars each (see photo)
- cook for 7-10 minutes
- cool on a cooling rack
|No, I haven't been reading Sylvia Plath again!|
|I always make an extra |
- Put the chicken in a ziploc with the taco seasoning and a little olive oil and seal and rub it around.
- Cook over medium heat on a non stick pan or a grill pan if you have one (get one if not, they are great!) and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Make sure it is cooked with a food thermometer! (Yes, I'm a lawyer)
- While chicken is cooking combine slaw mix with one cup of ranch dressing, 1/4 cup of the juice from the jalapeno and the juice of the lime. Toss with tongs.
- chop the chicken up and assemble tacos. Layer chicken, slaw and desired toppings