Recapping the Bucket List Trip Part 2-Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos

Hey y'all!  Here with recap number two of the bucket list trip that we took!  I am actually back on the road right now making more adventures.  I am loving my corona miracle!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos

After we finished up in Santa Fe, we hit the road to start the tent camping. Apparently, when you have a fancy truck like Kevin, you must take backroads and rough drives when you are out west. Apparently that is why you get the four wheel drive. So off we went on a trail road up a mountain. I was shaking I was so nervous and it was such a rough ride I closed my move and exercise ring! Score!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
Some pretty views from the truck!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
Getting higher!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
Thanks truck for taking us up!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
I could not believe how cold it was for the middle of June!  Look how high we are!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
Sadly, this is probably the most snow I have ever seen in my life!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
Apparently there are a lot of cows in the mountains.  We got hit with a poop pattie!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
And then back on a less bumpy road to find our campsite.

We were kind of disappointed with the campsites in Carson National Forrest and the bathrooms were closed.  I said well if there is no bathroom, you at least have to get me cell service.  So we went up a mountain again, this time to Garcia Park.  We found an excellent campsite and I had three bars of service on both of my phones!  Score!  We got everything unpacked and set up.  And then it finally hit me that this is where I would be sleeping in 30 degree weather...

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
I got cold just thinking about it!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
We were set up under some beautiful Aspen trees.  These were my obsession the whole trip!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
The boys got the campfire going while I caught up on some emails for work.

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
Then it was time for happy hour.  This is actually 41 now, but who's counting?!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
We jammed to some good tunes, ate pistachios for dinner and eventually the fire died.

Well, I was miserable.  I did not pack for sleeping outside in 30 degree weather (who in the South has clothes for such a thing?!) and I cannot sleep in a confining 5 degree sleeping bag.  I tossed and shivered all night.  When the morning came, I was asked, how'd you do?  My answer was, "I f'ing hate this."  Coffee helped, and so did the cute chipmunks!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
See him up there?  That was my high school mascot!  I went to an all girl's school, obviously.

I requested a trip to civilization for a proper bathroom, some warmer clothes and some Mexican food.  We decided to head into Taos for my necessities at lunch time.  More wildlife on the road!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
Hey Dear!

Taos was super cute and way smaller than I thought it would be.  Most places were opening up right then and would let you in with a mask.  I purchased some warmer clothes and we walked around the town square.  It was lunch time so we decided to eat at the Gorge. We were their first post Corona closing customers as they opened for the first time that day!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
The cute little center of town.

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
The red chile pork burrito was worth every calorie!

We headed back to the camp.  All the boys settled in for naps, but I had to work.  Although the woods is not a bad place to do some research!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
My man all snug like a bug.  I need one of these for me!

Camping in Carson National Forest/Taos
Not a bad view from the office!

We went on a light hike after I finished work and they woke up and then it was leftovers and a campfire.  We were getting on the road to Colorado the next morning so we hit the hay early. And with warmer clothes and figuring out a way to sleep without the sleeping bag, I was less miserable when I woke up.  Camping in Colorado has been on Kevin's bucket list for awhile, so someone sure was excited!  I will be getting another draft done soon of those adventures!

Have you been to Taos?  Any tips for enjoying a sleeping bag?

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments