A cool refreshing side (Celery Salad with Cilantro and Sesame)

I just logged into blogger and noticed I had some drafts I never published.  I will be publishing these as I edit them.  I miss blogging, but it is so much work for no money.  Life is good in these parts, and I hope it is for you as well.  Here is a lovely summer dish for you this morning.

I have been cooking through my Nothing Fancy cookbook since I got it a few years ago.  Pretty much everything I have made is just delicious with two exceptions.  This is not one of those exceptions.  I usually have to make edits as she loves anchovies and fish sauce and they are not my jam.  I had to do that here.  I was making her sticky sweet and sour pineapple chicken one night and she suggested serving it with the salad I have for you today.  I figured, why not trust Alison!  I was glad I did!

I just left out the fish sauce and my fish sauce loving fiance husband still ate this up.  It is so cool and refreshing and healthy to boot!  I would never think to make something like this and now I am so glad I did.  This would be great alongside any protein.  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Celery Salad with Cilantro and Sesame
Hello, healthy side dish!

Celery Salad with Cilantro and Sesame
The cast.  So green!

Celery Salad with Cilantro and Sesame
Test your jalapenos and make sure they aren't too spicy.  You could sub bell pepper too.

Celery Salad with Cilantro and Sesame
A lovely little dressing.

Celery Salad with Cilantro and Sesame
Pin it for when the mood strikes!

Celery Salad with Cilantro and Sesame (Adapted from Nothing Fancy by Alison Roman)

2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
6 green onions, green and white parts, thinly sliced on the bias
4 celery stalks and leaves, very thinly sliced on the bias
1 bunch fresh cilantro, tender leaves and stems, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 fresh jalapeño seeds removed, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons unseasoned rice wine vinegar, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus more as needed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling 

Toast the sesame seeds in a small skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown and starting to pop, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Toss the green onions, celery, cilantro, jalapeño, vinegar and lime juice together in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and add the oils. Season again with more salt and pepper, adding more lime juice or vinegar if you like.

Transfer to a large bowl or serving platter and top with the sesame seeds, lots of pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments