Three for one, like drinks should be (homemade no lard Bisquick, ultimate chicken fingers and sweet potato fries)

As a family of one, I love a cook once and eat three times recipe.  Especially when that recipe is changeable and customizable to make it not the same every time!  I saw a recipe on Plain Chicken for the ultimate chicken tenders that were baked.  I hadn't had a chicken tender in ages and I immediately had a craving.  And I thought it would be a good recipe for all the momma's who read that like to feed the kids healthy versions of such things.  

It called for Bisquick.  I am not a fan, I like to make my pancakes and waffles from scratch.  And I looked at what was in Bisquick and thought I should just make my own.  But how to do that?  I scoured the internet and found this great recipe.  I especially liked that there was a recipe for a big batch as well as a small batch which was exactly what I needed!  I am so glad I did, it was so easy and I have some more stored in my freezer.

I also decided to make my own sweet potato fries to go on the side to make it a healthy dupe of chicken fingers and french fries.   I had some sweet potatoes in a Hollygrove Market box so it was perfect!  I scoured the internet again to find some ones that could be crispy in the oven.  Enter this recipe from Cookie and Kate.  Corn starch, the answer to my prayers!

The chicken fingers were so freaking good!  Adults and children will love them.  The sweet potato fries were also awesome.  And the homemade Bisquick was a fabulous swap.  I can't wait to make waffles with it very soon!  Check back tomorrow for what I made with the leftovers!  Full recipe after the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday #109.  Click on over and link up or view a million more great recipes!

The cast for the Bisquick.  I love that it has some whole wheat in it!




I used my dough blender blade for my Ninja Mega Kitchen System (BL771)

Add your softened butter
Pulse until it is a coarse meal.
I stored it in a mason jar for freezing.
And the cast for the chicken fingers and sweet potato fries appears.
I first cut them like this...
And then cut them like this.  I tried to get as even as possible
Toss them in about a tablespoon or so of cornstarch
Season them up
And spread evenly on a baking sheet and pop in the oven.  
Hello ladies!

Season up your baking mix
Time to flip the fries, looking good already!
I used a cooling rack like I always do so they will crisp evenly.
Place the coated lovelies on the rack
The must have shrunk!
mmm those look almost too good to be baked!
I helped myself to seconds on the chicken fingers...and dipped them in low sugar ketchup!
Homemade Bisquick (borrowed from Beauty and Bedlam)

Single Recipe Mix (makes 2 cups)
2/3 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine

Bulk Recipe Mix (makes 8 cups)
3 cups all purpose flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, margarine or coconut oil

Blend the baking powder, salt and flours in large bowl. Using mixer or pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly mixture occurs. It will resemble coarse cornmeal (see pic above).
Store tightly covered in fridge or freezer.

Ultimate Chicken Fingers (borrowed from Plain Chicken)

3 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips (or chicken tenders)
2/3 cup Bisquick
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1 egg, slightly beaten
pepper
garlic salt
cooking spray

Heat oven to 450. Line cookie sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray. Combine Bisquick, cheese, garlic salt and paprika, set aside. Season chicken strips with a little garlic salt and pepper. Dip chicken stips into egg; then coat in Bisquick mixture. Place on a rack over a cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray. Bake 12-14 minutes.

Crispy baked sweet potato fries (borrowed from Cookie and Kate)

Sweet potatoes- one per person.
Corn starch. A big sprinkle's worth
Olive oil or Avocado oil, enough to lightly and evenly coat the fries.
Salt, pepper and spice to taste: cayenne pepper, paprika or curry powder. I used a 1/4 tsp of cayenne


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into fry-shaped pieces (see photos). Try to cut them into similarly sized pieces so the fries will bake evenly. Toss the uncooked fries into a mixing bowl or a plastic bag, or just onto your baking sheet. Sprinkle with cornstarch and pour in a few tablespoons of olive oil, enough to lightly coat the fries. Season with salt, pepper, and spices.  Mix/shake to distribute evenly (corn starch should be evenly mixed in so there are no powdery spots).  Pour the fries directly onto a dark, non-stick baking sheet Arrange your fries in a single layer and don't overcrowd, otherwise they will never crisp up. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the fries so they can cook on all sides. Bake for 10 to 15 more minutes, or until the fries are crispy. Don't worry if the edges are a little bit brown; they will taste more caramelized than burnt.
Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments