Another beige meal (Chicken Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce and Cauliflower Rice)


For some reason, whenever Amanda at Meet at the Barre puts a recipe up on her Friday favorites I have to make it that weekend. Its like she reads my mind of what is in my fridge or on my radar. My favorite time that happened was when I made these buffalo chicken tacos. Man those were good! This time I decided to take over Sunday dinner for the Gentleman Caller, who has an injury to his writing hand. The weekend before he had made an Asian inspired sauce and those leftovers plus stuff in my pantry and a few additions at the store had me set. 

I love using riced cauliflower and am so happy that Trader Joes has opened and does it for me!   These meatballs were good, but that was because I added a little bit of my bacon grease from my fridge for fat and I cut down the cooking time.  I tested them with a thermometer so I wouldn't kill us, don't worry!

The sauce was way thinner than her recipe.  I don't know if that is because I used peanut butter instead of almond butter or because my coconut milk wasn't thick enough.  It still tasted good and my man had them for lunch the next day and reported that they were even more delicious. I would suggest making a cornstarch slurry just in case to thicken it up. The color of this dish reminded me of funny times with beige meals.  This one was way healthier!  Try this with the almond butter and let me know if that was my mistake.  It is full of yummy flavor and you will love it!  Full recipe after the jump.
Chicken Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce and Cauliflower Rice
I am glad I got a glimpse of a carrot, I always feel unhealthy when I eat beige meals!


Chicken Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce and Cauliflower Rice
The cast.  I did this after some day drinking.  This picture shows it.
Chicken Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce and Cauliflower Rice
Chop up your veggies.
Chicken Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce and Cauliflower Rice
I decided to shake up the sauce first before heating. Maybe that was my problem.
Chicken Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce and Cauliflower Rice
I love making meatballs!  Especially Chicken ones!
Chicken Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce and Cauliflower Rice
Cooked after only half the time!
Chicken Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce and Cauliflower Rice
I like to heat up my cauliflower rice in an oiled skillet for 5-7 minutes to cook it a bit.
Chicken Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce and Cauliflower Rice
After the sauce is heated, plate and enjoy!

Chicken Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce and Cauliflower Rice (Adapted from The Bewitchen Kitchen )

Ingredients:

Meatballs-
1/2 cup roughly chopped carrots
1/4 onion, chopped
2 tbsps cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
2 tbsps basil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp ground ginger
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp red chili flakes
1/4 tsp each sea salt and pepper
1 lb ground chicken
Sauce-
1 can coconut milk
1 tbsp red curry paste
1 tbsp almond butter
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp minced garlic

Pre-Heat Oven to 400F.  Place all the ingredients for the meatballs in a bowl and combine.  Roll into 1 1/2 - 2" balls and place them on a lined or greased pan.  Bake for 10 minutes, roll the meatballs over and bake them for an additional 10.  In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat the coconut milk.
Add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add the meatballs to the sauce, stir them around and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Serve over cauliflower rice and splash on some sauce

No comments