Even the best laid plans need tweaking sometimes (Vietnamese Braised Pork Ribs)

I had big plans to use my Anova for this recipe and share with Gentleman Caller how much I love cooking different things with it since he so sweetly gave it to me for Christmas.  I promised him these ribs on Martin Luther King day since I was off work.  I marinated them in a vacuum sealed bag the night before and was so proud of myself for being so prepared.  And then I noticed  the next day that ribs take a whole damn day in the sous vide.  Never mind!

The recipe called for 2 hours in the oven.  I thought they were crazy as a person that smokes meat as a hobby.  But guess what?  This  method made the most tender and juicy ribs, Gentleman Caller has ranked them on the best things I've ever made him.   And since I made them like a normal cook, you now know that you can make these simply exoticly delicious ribs at your house with a normal oven.

I had to travel to Whole Foods to get lemongrass, but other than that, I had everything else on hand and you probably do too!  The flavors are really deep, the ribs are so tender and it will be our little secret how easy they were to make. I served them with the Southwest Chopped Salad from Trader Joe's, but without the toppings and added some soy sauce to the dressing.  This would be great with any Asian slaw or rice. Seriously, make them and enjoy, I insist!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Vietnamese Oven Braised Ribs
Hey sassy ribs!  
Vietnamese Oven Braised Ribs
I bet you have most of this cast at your house!
Vietnamese Oven Braised Ribs
Not my usual chopped combo, but I like it!
Vietnamese Oven Braised Ribs
I made my own Chinese five spice concoction, but I stuck with that is usually in it.
Vietnamese Oven Braised Ribs
I may just want to eat this with a spoon, be right back.
Vietnamese Oven Braised Ribs
Ah, this was when I was feeling smart and fancy!
Vietnamese Oven Braised Ribs
Two hours later, and not 24, look how yummy!
Vietnamese Oven Braised Ribs
It was literally falling off the bone!
Vietnamese Oven Braised Ribs
So good with some healthy crisp slaw!

Vietnamese Braised Ribs (Borrowed from the New York Times)

2 medium shallots, finely chopped
2 lemongrass stalks, tough outer layer removed, lightly smashed and very finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon hot chile paste (such as sambal oelek)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
1 tablespoon grated garlic
2 tablespoons finely chopped or grated ginger
3 to 4 pounds baby back ribs
4 scallions, slivered or chopped, for garnish
lime juice for garnish

Make the marinade: In a small bowl, put the shallots, lemongrass, soy sauce, fish sauce, chile paste, salt, sugar, five-spice powder, garlic and ginger. Mix well. Put the meat in a deep baking dish or roasting pan and add marinade. Using your hands, coat ribs well. Cover with plastic wrap. Let marinate, refrigerated, for at least 2 hours and preferably overnight. Bring back to room temperature before proceeding. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Add 2 cups water to the pan, cover tightly with foil and place pan in oven. Cook for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees for 1 hour more. When done, the meat should be very tender, nearly but not quite falling off the bone. Remove cover and return to the oven for about 15 minutes until the ribs are nicely browned. You can broil them for a few minutes to assist in browning. Remove ribs from pan. Pour pan juices into a saucepan and skim fat. Reduce over high heat until somewhat thickened, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, divide ribs with a sharp knife and pile them onto a platter. Serve family style with steamed rice or slaw and pan juices. Garnish with scallions, lime juice, cilantro and mint sprigs

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments