Out of this world and my comfort zone (Pork and Kimchi Stew)

I was really devastated Hogs for the Cause did not happen.  We worked hard to prepare and raised as much money as we could, but the real money happens at the event.  One of the ways I prepare is creating our specialty dishes for the judges.  I farm out some categories, but I was to take care of the Tabasco sandwich entry and Porkpourri entry.  In my practice doing that, I had some homemade Tabasco kimchi fermenting in the fridge and some pork belly in the freezer.

Well the Corona hit and I took inventory and perused my cookbooks as I have told you.  Turns out I had pretty much everything to make the pork and kimchi stew in my new favorite cookbook, Nothing Fancy by Alison Roman.  I had to make some substitutions and work my own magic into it, but man this was good!

I ate it every day for lunch while working from home and did not get sick of it.  Alison has the fancy idea to put an egg yolk in it, and I am sad I did not.  Feel free to make substitutions and you can always reach out to me for tips with that on any recipe!  This was not something I would have ever dreamed of making and I am so glad I did.  Get out of your comfort zone and try it!  Full recipe to follow the montage.  

BTW, Blogger has been eating my pics and I had to redo this one and for some reason I can't do captions on the pics I added again.  Anyone else having that problem? I think Blogger has fixed the photo problem now at least.

Pork and Kimchi Stew
What a pretty bowl of stew!
Pork and Kimchi Stew


Pork and Kimchi Stew

Pork and Kimchi Stew

Pork and Kimchi Stew

Pork and Kimchi Stew



Pork and Kimchi Stew
Ready for you to pin!

Pork and Kimchi Stew (Adapted from Nothing Fancy by Alison Roman)


2 pounds of pork, cut into two inch pieces (see note)
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced (I just used 2 teaspoons of ground)
1/4 cup gochujang, harissa or tomato paste
2 jars of kimchi, coarsely chopped
1 bunch of green onions, chopped (both green and white parts)
6 cups water

For garnish:
Chopped radishes, julienned green apple, fancy cut green onions, sesame seeds, Korean chili flakes or red pepper flakes.  Alison highly suggests an egg yolk, but I was too nervous to try it (mostly for keeping the picture pretty, hee hee)

Note: I used a mix of pork belly and lean pork chops.  Alison suggests ribs or shoulder.  Really any cut of pork will work!

Season the pork with salt and pepper.  Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.  When shimmering, add the pork and cook until browned on all sides (you may have to do this in batches).  Remove meat from pot and leave the drippings.  Add the onion and cook for a few minutes until translucent. Add the green onions and cook a few minutes longer.  Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.  Add your gochujang, harissa or tomato paste and cook another 2 or so minutes, until it gets a little darker.  Add the kimchi and water, scraping up all the yummy bits.  Bring to a simmer and then nestle the pork in there.  Add more water if the pork isn't covered in liquid.  Cover the pot and lower the heat a little.  Simmer until pork is falling apart, about 2 hours or more.  Garnish with your garnishes and serve.  This is even better leftover and I ate it three days in a row without getting sick of it!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments