Recapping the Weekend, Laborious Labor Day

Hi friends, happy Tuesday!  Love me a good short week.  Hope your weekend was lovely and you hung out with some lovely people.  I sure did.  I managed to pack in some family time, friend time, relaxation and work around the house.  Here we go with a recap.

Friday night, we picked up a bunch of fajitas (and sadly no margaritas since take out alcohol is outlawed currently) from El Gato Negro and had a fajita and pool party at my parents' house.  It was my parents, Kevin and I, middle sister and her husband and kids, little sister and her kids and my middle sister's best friend and her husband and kids.  They are in town from Lake Charles staying with my sister since they still don't have electricity.  They have been friends since kindergarten and she grew up around the corner from us so she is like another sister.  I neglected to get a photo of he yummy food it was gone so fast, but the kids sure had a blast!

My sister and her bestie were planning a bike ride to my neck of the woods the next morning, so I told them to meet us at the coffee house by my house for a coffee and then we would ride back to their house with them.  It was so fun!

The ladies and Kevin.

Kevin and decided to make a long ride out of it and ended up doing 25 miles.  I had to phone it in for the last 8, my back and legs were killing me and it was so hot!

After that we showered up and lazed on the couch watching football.  While listening to WWOZ for their special labor day programming!  They were playing old jazz fest concerts just like they did when Jazz Fest was canceled back in the spring.  How are we still in this stage, y'all?! It started to hit me how long it has been when I went back and found my festing at home post to link there, that was so long ago!


I also got my tenant and I some nice new mailboxes and installed them.  I forgot to take a pic of the before, but trust me, they were long overdue for an upgrade!

They will fit a package in them!

We grilled for dinner and jammed out to more fake Jazz Fest before the Kentucky Derby.  It felt so right, those things are usually the same weekend in May!  You can never go wrong with grilled corn and flank steak!

On Sunday, we had plans to head uptown for lunch so we trekked over to Home Depot on the way so I could get mulch and fertilizer for the garden and some weed killer for my lawn. It is time to get the house ready for fall!

Our lunch plans for Sunday were with Kevin's good friend from LSU and his wife at the lovely Picnic Provisions and Whiskey.  His friend is actually my old friend from elementary school, so I have known him longer!  With so many mutual friends and being at the same place at the same time so many times, it is bizarre that Kevin and I  didn't meet until our 30's. But I guess that was a good thing, lol.  

I got a piña colada.  And it came with a bendy straw!

It was so nice to enjoy the outdoors and good company!  Even though our first cold front came through to put us into the 80's it was still hot.  I had plans to mulch after, but we laid low on the couch. 

Monday was mulching and getting some stuff down around the house.  It was so good to have a day off!  Kevin also smoked a chicken.  Look at it all fancy and spatchcocked!

Well there you have it, back to the grind and it is a busy short week.  Hope yours feels short!  What did you get into for the labor day weekend?


Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments