A family favorite gets a boozy spin (Bourbon Pecan Pie)

We stopped having the extended family all over to my grandparents' house for thanksgiving a few years back.  My Ohio family started coming in every other year and so we started some new traditions and kept some old.  One of the favorite desserts in the family is pecan pie.  I made it for the first time last year - or was it the year before?  Covid really has messed with my sense of time!

I was going to make my grandmother's recipe, but then I saw this recipe from the late great Julia Reed on the New York Times Cooking.  By the way, I know I have said it before, but a subscription to New York Times Cooking is one of the best Christmas presents I have ever gotten!  I read the comments and took them in.  Then I set out to make pecan pie!

Y'all, this is a great one!  Everyone raved about the pie!  Even though my pic crust has vodka in it and the pie has borbon in it, no one will get drunk, just full!  Do not be scared of making your own pie crust; I was shocked at how easy it is!  What is your favorite holiday pie?  Full recipe to follow the montage.

Bourbon Pecan Pie
Look at all that nutty goodness!

Bourbon Pecan Pie
This is clearly not health food.

Bourbon Pecan Pie
So sweet!

Bourbon Pecan Pie
The hardest part of this recipe is rolling out the dough!

Bourbon Pecan Pie
I can never make a pretty crust.

Bourbon Pecan Pie
Ready for a ride in the oven.

Bourbon Pecan Pie
Make this for your turkey day!

Bourbon Pecan Pie (adapted from New York Times Cooking)

3 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup light corn syrup
½ cup dark corn syrup
⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons bourbon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust (see recipe below for homemade!)
1 ¼ cups coarsely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together eggs, sugar, corn syrups, butter, flour, bourbon, vanilla and salt until well blended.
Place pie crust in a pie pan. Prick the sides and bottom of the pie crust with a fork at 1/2-inch intervals. Spread the pecans on the bottom and pour the mixture over them. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until just set around the edges but still slightly loose in the center. (It will continue to set as it cools.)
Place on a rack to cool slightly.

Pie Crust

1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (150 grams)
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
3 tablespoons vodka* or ice water

In a food processor, pulse together the flour and salt. Add butter and pulse until the mixture forms lima bean-size pieces. Slowly add  vodka or ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse until the dough just comes together. It should be moist, but not wet.  It is like magic how it suddenly becomes dough!
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gather into a ball. Flatten into a disk with the heel of your hand. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.

*I promise you will not get drunk, the alcohol cooks out!  I have made it with both and like the vodka method slightly better, but water will totally work!

Happy cooking!

Missy

No comments