Recapping the Weekend- Memorial Day in the Mountains 2.0


Hi friends! I'm 40! Thanks for all the love on my birthday yesterday. I took the day off and tended to my house, got some exercise and a much needed massage. I hope you had a wonderful long weekend! I sure did. I spent it with some of my favorite people in the great outdoors. It was a blast and I'm here today to recap it. Pic heavy, coming right up!

The group at the top of the mountain!
Four of us flew into Atlanta together and then rented a car to drive to the mountain house.  We stopped in adorable Gainesville, GA for lunch at the 2 Dog Cafe.  If you are ever in that area, do it, so yummy and cute! We stopped at the store for some local craft beer.  Man, the beer is better in North Carolina!

I loved the name of this brewery.  I have many scars and they sure felt lucky to be there!
We settled in for fajitas and wine. Luckily, our hostess hid some of the wine so we didn't drink it all in one sitting!  We needed to rest up for a big hike the next day!

We hiked up to Siler Bald.  We thought it was going to be 3 miles round trip...turned out that was 3 hours and over 5 miles, oops!  I felt so out of shape making it all the way up!

A much deserved Abita Strawberry at the top!

We were so proud of ourselves!
The ladies of the group.  
We went into the town of Franklin for some BBQ and paid our respects at this memorial.
After that we went to Outdoor 76, which is a sporting goods store that has a bar in it.  They had a bluegrass band playing out back called Ol' Dirty Bathtub.  They were so amazing; I bought the T shirt!

We got us some swag!
Love the craft beer map!


We headed over to Lazy Hiker Brewery after.  Man was it good!
We had a very competitive Jenga game between the architect, engineer and land use lawyer!

The beers were just delightful and packed in so much flavor!
We came home and grilled burgers and spent some time under the stars.  Life is better when you are closer to them!

Sunday Morning we woke up for the main event, Ziplining!  I had been before and I could not think of anything else I could want to do my last weekend of my 30's.  It is so exhilarating.  The Nantahala Outdoor Center has the best ziplining east of the Mississippi.  You need to check this place out!

All geared up!


I told my friends this was not a birthday trip because it was everyone's vacation.  But, when we got back, they still surprised me with cupcakes, some hysterical photo memories and balloons.  They are the best.  I was worried this was going to be a hard birthday for many reasons but being surrounded by them with no cell service was just what I needed! 

Some of my best moments!
Happy Birthday to me!

It was campfire time after that!
The next morning we woke up and made breakfast tacos and did sheet masks, I was in heaven!
It was too short of a trip and I can't wait to get back!  How was your Memorial Day? Hope you grilled, chilled and enjoyed our freedom due to the fallen soldiers we honor with this holiday.  See you soon with more food.  And eventually some house updates!

Happy Cooking!

Missy





No comments