Dinner on the fly strikes again! (One pot Enchilada Cabbage casserole)

I love a good one pot meal.  Easy to eat, easy to clean and easy to love.  I had some savoy cabbage in a Covey Rise share recently and decided to whip up a one pot meal.  I have been trying to purge my plethora of condiments in my fridge and have a shelf of everything that is about to expire.  I spied some enchilada sauce and thought that would make a great addition.  There was ground turkey in my freezer, onions and garlic in the pantry and some cheese in the fridge.  Let's make dinner!

Well this was just delicious!  The cabbage soaked up all the enchilada flavor and stayed nice and crunchy.  The cheese melted perfectly and I wish I would have been able to broil it, but alas my wonky old oven did not allow it.  Try this with ground meat as well if you are so inclined.  Full recipe to follow the montage.

One pot Enchilada Cabbage casserole
I mean, doesn't that just look delicious?
One pot Enchilada Cabbage casserole
The cast.  Looks right up anyone's alley! I later added jalapeno.
One pot Enchilada Cabbage casserole
Sauté it up!
One pot Enchilada Cabbage casserole
Add in your cabbage and get it browning.  
One pot Enchilada Cabbage casserole
After adding in the sauce, add on the cheese!
One pot Enchilada Cabbage casserole
Pin it and win a weeknight dinner!
One Pot Enchilada Cabbage Casserole

2 tbsp. oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, chopped
1/2 pound ground turkey
1 head of Napa cabbage, cut into bite sized pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1 can enchilada sauce
1/2 bag of shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.  Add onion and cook until translucent, add garlic and jalapeño, stir well and then add turkey and cook until it changes color all the way through.  Add in the cabbage and enchilada sauce and cook for 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour cheese over the mixture and cover to melt the cheese.  Alternatively, you can put it under the broiler for 3 minutes to brown.  I would have done that if my pot would have fit in my old school drawer broiler!

Happy Cooking!

Missy



No comments