Recapping the weekend- Solitude in the time of Corona

Hey y'all!  Hope y'all are all hanging in there!  My heart goes out to all of you who are overwhelmed.  Whether it be you are sick, someone you love is sick, you lost your job, you are having trouble homeschooling while working etc.  Or if you are just done with this!

I am sheltered in place alone and it is really trying for this extrovert.  I have lived alone since I graduated from law school in 2005 (with a few breaks) so I am no stranger to alone time.  But I am always doing something around people and getting out of the house, which I am sure you know if you read this blog. I usually have so much fun on Sundays with other people;  I have no time for a recap post Sunday night. 

Zoom and FaceTime are helping, but man, what I wouldn't give to go to a bar or have a dinner party or do my usual community yoga right now.  Or heck, hug my boyfriend!  He is in Texas and they have pretty much shut off visitors from Louisiana unless you have a good reason and swear to quarantine.  I have a flight there in a few weeks that I bought before all this went down.  He usually comes here, and he canceled his recent planned trips to visit since it is so bad here. We haven't seen each other since February 23rd.  Lets hope they let me in my old home state of Texas in a few weeks!  I think I have a good reason and am happy to quarantine for a few days!



I haven't broke out the adult coloring books that are always my last result for boredom.  I am still finding things to keep me busy!

This past weekend was supposed to be Hogs for the Cause.  We put a lot of work into preparing for it so it was pretty sad to not have it.  In addition, it cut so much money from how much the event usually raises for children with pediatric brain cancer.  We had a virtual team photo and caught up with some of the team Saturday afternoon when we would normally be selling pork and drinking beer.

Just missing 10 of the amazing women on the team!
I braved the grocery store for essentials.  They are selling prepared items from the top area restaurants.  I had to scoop up some of the award winning Saba's hummus and bread!

This was a well deserved treat!
 I pickled some radishes for my salad.  They are one of my weird favorite little things! (recipe below)

Before
After.  These aren't the best smelling friends, but they are a great crunchy addition!
 I also made an amazing roast chicken.  I combined a few recipes to make my own method.  I will bringing you this asap.  It had the crispiest skin and juiciest meat!


I went for a walk along Bayou St. John.  There were a lot of people out and about in groups of 6 or less.  It made me miss people I love.


I read a book in my backyard with a Truly on a beach towel.  My friend Jen then posted about this blow up pool with a built in lounger she got and I had to buy it.  It will be where I do my reading next weekend! (It is sold out now, sadly).

Feels like Summer!
Maintaining a skin care and workout regimen have been my goals of this weird time.  I did Pure Barre every day and I was missing my usual yoga class to stretch.  This one on Youtube was awesome.  It is a really great hip opener if you need that like I do.



I also went through all my skincare products and separated them into category so I would remember to use them.  I think I will leave them out so I really remember!

I am glad I was stocked up before this all happened!

Well back to the grind of working from home.  Have any tips those that do this on the reg?  It is the start of week three and I am still not used to this!
Hope you are well and safe and have an amazing week!

Oh, here are the pickled radishes:

radishes, thinly sliced (as many as you want)
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup water
2 tsp. salt
1 tablespoon syrup ( I use cane syrup, maple will work or use 1 tbsp. sugar)
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon mustard seeds

Place everything but the radishes in a saucepan over medium high heat.  Bring to a light boil.  Place radishes in a mason jar, pour hot liquid over them leaving a little room at the top.  Let cool and then seal the lid and store in fridge for up to two weeks.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments