An easy lunch for the rotation (VegetarianTaco Stuffed Sweet Potato)

I had a bunch of sweet potatoes in my Covey Rise Share recently and no lettuce, so sweet potatoes for lunch it was.  There was corn in the box as well and I had a can of black beans lying around.  I played around on the internet and came up with these vegetarian bean and corn stuffed sweet potatoes from Good Housekeeping.  They sounded easy enough, and I had everything I needed to adapt the recipe to what I had on hand.  It was lunch time!

Well this could not have been easier and was really just so delicious.  I had leftover filling and turned it into a riff on what I call the best dip ever for Mother's Day!  The filing is really yummy, the sweet potato is perfectly cooked in the microwave, and the melted cheese ties it all together.  You can customize this to your liking topping wise, use meat instead of beans or add a little meat, the choice is yours!  Whatever you do, make yourself a sweet potato for breakfast, you can even do it at the office if you make the filling before!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

VegetarianTaco Stuffed Sweet Potato
Hello lunch of my dreams, besides the salad I eat every day!
VegetarianTaco Stuffed Sweet Potato
I used salsa instead of chipotle, I like that better!
VegetarianTaco Stuffed Sweet Potato
Some delightful filling!  Just begging for some cheese!
VegetarianTaco Stuffed Sweet Potato
Pin it and remind yourself to make a good wholesome lunch!

Vegetarian Taco Stuffed Sweet Potato (adapted from Good Housekeeping)

4 sweet potatoes
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion
1 can black beans
1/2 cup salsa
2 c. packed baby spinach
1 c. corn
1/2 c. sliced green onion
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. shredded low-fat Mexican-blend cheese

Microwave sweet potatoes, pricked with fork, on high for 10 minutes or until tender, turning over once.  Meanwhile, heat olive oil in 12-inch skillet on medium-high heat. Add sliced onion and cook 6 to 7 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently. Add black beans, baby spinach, corn, sliced green onion, chopped chipotle chiles in adobo, garlic, and salt. Cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Split sweet potatoes and fill with bean mixture. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon shredded low-fat Mexican-blend cheese.

Use the leftover filling to make the best dip ever:

Cream cheese
Leftover filling
shredded Mexican blend cheese

Make sure you have equal amounts of each.  Smear cream cheese on the bottom of a microwave safe dish.  Cover with leftover filling.  Spread cheese on top.  Microwave for 4 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Serve with tortilla chips or celery.

Happy Cooking, and Happy Birthday to me today!

Missy

No comments