So good I broke out the good plates (Crispy Chicken Thighs over Melted Zucchini)

It is zucchini time in these parts, and I am always looking for something other than zoodles. I am not sure how I stumbled across this recipe from Food and Wine, but I am so glad I did.  Y'all.  This recipe was so good, I've already made it a second time before I got to publish this.  I mean, this is basically zoodles, but they taste like magic.  Anything roasted in chicken fat is just delicious! 

I made this one Saturday night for myself and dined outside.  I had such a good time, I decided to make it as Kevin's welcome home meal.  The second time I used a mix of thighs and legs and served it with some roasted potatoes.  It was just as good as I remembered and even better with company.  This is good with squash or zucchini or a combo of both,  whatever you have on hand!

What is your go-to with zucchini?  I have made bread, muffins, boats , casseroles, fries and so many other things, but this has been one of my faves.  Full recipe to follow the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday.

Crispy Chicken Thighs over Melted Zucchini
This looked so good I brought out my fancy china!
Crispy Chicken Thighs over Melted Zucchini
The cast on an extremely sunny day
Crispy Chicken Thighs over Melted Zucchini
I used a Y peeler to do this as I am not allowed to operate a mandoline after a few injuries.
Crispy Chicken Thighs over Melted Zucchini
Sear up those thighs.
Crispy Chicken Thighs over Melted Zucchini
Sauté it up and get it ready for a ride in the oven.
Crispy Chicken Thighs over Melted Zucchini
You can pin it for later when it is zucchini time in your parts!

Crispy Chicken Thighs over Melted Zucchini (Borrowed from Food and Wine)

8 cups loosely packed zucchini and or ribbons* (from about 1 1/2 pounds zucchini)
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 (8-ounce) bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried.

*I used a Y peeler to make the ribbons.  You can use a mandline or thinly slice with a knife.  For the love of Pete, be careful.  I have so many war stories and am missing the tips of several of my fingers!

Preheat oven to 450°F. Combine zucchini and 1 teaspoon salt in a colander; let stand until ready to use.  Combine pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon salt; sprinkle evenly over both sides of chicken thighs. Heat a 10-inch ovenproof skillet or sauté pan over medium. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan, skin side down. Cook until skin is browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Flip chicken thighs; cook 6 minutes. Remove chicken from pan (chicken will not be fully cooked). Add onion, garlic, and thyme to drippings in pan. Cook over medium, stirring occasionally and scraping any browned bits from bottom of pan, until onion is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.  Drain zucchini on several layers of paper towels; squeeze gently to remove excess moisture. Add zucchini to onion mixture in pan; toss with tongs to combine. Nestle chicken into zucchini mixture. Place pan in preheated oven; cook until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of chicken registers 165°F, 13 to 15 minutes. Serve chicken over zucchini alone or with your favorite side!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments