I'm on a budget dammit! (Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta with Pistachio Pesto)

One of the hardest things for me to deal with in the aftermath of the breakup is getting in control of my finances.  Aka, get on a severe budget.  Or sell my car and give up Pure Barre and wine.  Nah I'll take the budget!  It does lead to me being more creative in the kitchen and using up what I have on hand though!.  I had a butternut squash and some garlic left from my Hollygrove Market box, leftover parsley and green onions and those egg noodles from the fancy pasta.  Enter this recipe for roasted butternut penne with pistachio pesto.  I had most of it on hand, could sub some things or could cheaply acquire it!  Budget don't...buying unshelled pistachios.  Ruined what was left of my pre break up (and budget) gel mani!

The cast of characters (and some of my grandmother's art!)
Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta with Pistachio Pesto: (Serves 4 but not generously)

Pesto:

3 cloves garlic (remember, I like garlic)
zest and juice of one lime
1/3 cup toasted pistachios (I just heated them in a nonstick skillet for a few minutes)
1 jalapeno, top taken off and one half seeded (or all seeded if you like)
1 cup of herbs, I used parsley and green onions.  (can use basil or cilantro too)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
1/4 cup or more of olive oil
  • Place all ingredients except olive oil in blender or food processor
  • Pulse a few times
  • Do a constant blend setting and pour olive oil slowly in until it reaches desired consistency.
Mmmm pesto!
Butternut Squash pasta:

One butternut squash

olive oil
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp ground nutmeg
salt and pepper
pasta of your choice (recipe calls for penne but I used the leftover egg noodles)
container of fresh spinach (can use chard or kale or whatever too)


  • preheat oven to 450 and start some water to boil for pasta
  • peel and cut the squash into bite sized pieces
  • toss with olive oil to coat, paprika, nutmeg and salt and pepper
  • roast 20 minutes or until edges brown
  • drain pasta but reserve 1/2 cup of liquid.
  • combine pasta, about half the pesto, the squash and the pasta water in the pasta pot
  • Serve over a large handful of spinach, toss around to wilt.
  • toss with leftover herbs and a little cheese.
budget saved!

Happy Cooking!

Missy








No comments