Cleaning out the pantry has some advantages (Homemade enchilada sauce)

There is nothing like homemade enchilada sauce.  There are several ways to do it.  You can use powdered chili powder and make a roux, add tomatoes to the bunch or use dried chilies and try to be authentic.  I have done all three, but this home chef loves it the most the last way.

I was cleaning out my pantry in conjunction with the Apartment Therapy January Cure that I was doing with my friends Aimee and Becca.  Since I just moved three times in one year, I was pretty cleaned out.  But  I still had some expired or about to expire items.  Including the chilies I employed to make some awesome enchiladas back in the day when no one read this blog.  I decided to make some sauce and keep it on hand.

This is a really easy way to impress your people.  It tastes authentic and is very easy, although not fast.  I made enchiladas with some leftover smoked meat from Frey Smoked Meat Co. just after I made this and my work taste testers could not get enough!  I am making some vegetarian enchiladas with it-they will be coming soon-for my long lost friend that I am catching up this evening. Make this, freeze it, or store it in the fridge for a few weeks.  Full recipe after the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday for $5 dinners!

So dark and rich and low fat!



Just add water!
Toast your chiles to get some smoky flavor on them. 

And deseed them.  This is not too hard, cut off the top and shake for the most part.

Then put them in a pot with some water and boil to reconstitute them.

Onion and garlic to give it some flavor!

I think they are rehydrated!
Add the peppers, onions and garlic, 1/2 cup of liquid and I added a pinch of cumin.

Just playing with my camera!
And there you have it!

Enchilada sauce:

3 cups Dried Peppers (I used a variety of guajillo, ancho and puya)
One small onion quartered
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp. cumin
water

Heat about a quart of water  to a boil.  Tear off the stem from all the dried peppers and shake out and discard most of the seeds.   In a small pan, heat 1 tsp. oil and toast the peppers for a few seconds to toast them. Place them in the boiling water and reduce heat to simmer, cook for about 30 minutes. Scoop out the peppers and place them in a blender with onion and garlic.  Add about a cup of the cooking liquid.  Blend until smooth.  

Happy Cooking!  

Missy

No comments