I never liked learing the metric system (Oven baked risotto with bacon and cherry tomatoes)

I made risotto in the oven once and it came out really well. I was cleaning out my pantry and had some Arborio rice that was looking lonely.  I wanted to do oven risotto again, but in a different way. I went to the google and found this recipe.  It was in the metric system, so I plugged it all into google and of course nothing was exact.  I blame that for this taking way less time than I thought and for it being not like a traditional risotto.  But, still,  it was so good I ate it twice!

I decided to make a nice dinner for my sister and brother in law and go watch my niece play basketball one weeknight.  Since the kids would not eat risotto and pork chops, I brought them some red beans and rice from the freezer.  They tried the risotto though and liked it!

You can never go wrong in my book with bacon.  And rice is always nice.  Cooked cherry tomatoes are quite the treat as well.  But again, if you make this, don't expect a creamy risotto.  If you want easy oven risotto that is creamy, you must make the one I made with kale.  Or without kale! But, this dish is very yummy regardless for a yummy spin on plain rice.  Full recipe after the montage.

oven baked risotto with bacon
I love making fancy adult meals in her nice kitchen!

oven baked risotto with bacon
The cast.  I forgot to heat up the stick beforehand, that was a mistake.
oven baked risotto with bacon
Chop your bacon onion and garlic.  Gosh I love these three!

oven baked risotto with bacon
Nothing like that smell!

oven baked risotto with bacon
Mmm or that one.  Maybe this is why I have suddenly gained the new year nine?

oven baked risotto with bacon
This reminds me of Rice a Roni!


oven baked risotto with bacon
Submerge in liquid and hope for the best.

oven baked risotto with bacon
Well that was quick!

oven baked risotto with bacon
Rounds out very well with a pork chop and Brussels sprouts!

    Oven baked risotto with Bacon and Cherry tomatoes (Adapted from BBC Good Food)

    Ingredients:

    4 pieces smoked bacon, chopped into small pieces
    1/2 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    3 tbsp. butter
    2 cups risotto rice
    1/2 cup white wine 
    1 pack cherry tomatoes, halved
3 cups hot chicken stock
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated

Heat oven to 375,  Fry the bacon pieces in a dutch oven for 3-5 mins until golden and crisp. Stir in the onion and butter and cook for 3-4 mins until soft. Add the rice and mix well until coated. Pour over the wine and cook for 2 mins until absorbed.  Add the cherry tomatoes and the hot stock, then give the rice a quick stir. Cover with a tightly fitting lid and bake for 14 mins until just cooked. Stir through most of the Parmesan and serve sprinkled with the remainder.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments