Don't ever forget the avocado! (Tomatillo Pineapple Burgers with zucchini fries) And a baby!

My sweet sister (Who had a baby yesterday!) gave me the Mix and Match mama cookbook a few months ago just as a little happy since she loves it and made so many delicious dishes from it.  I love Shay's blog and Instagram so much so I was so glad to get a copy. There is just something about a cookbook for me and one lazy Sunday I pulled mine out to meal plan.  

I have been loving my little riffs on the traditional burger, with my Moroccan Chicken Burgers   and Buffalo Chicken Burgers but I was craving a meat burger.  I stumbled across her recipe for Tomatillo Pineapple burgers in my cookbook and thought it sounded delicious. Pineapple, homemade tomatillo salsa, pepper jack and avocado?  On a burger?  You don't have to twist my arm!  Too bad I forgot the avocado!

I missed the avocado for sure, but these burgers were just delicious.  Spicy and sweet, juicy with some crunch, what a combination. And these zucchini fries?  Don't get me started.  They were really good.  I won't say they were a complete stand in for fries, but they are just yummy on their own.  Try them both or just one, you will not be disappointed!  Full recipes to follow the montage.

Looking good despite missing avocado!
The ingredients for the burger toppings.
Making salsa is easy when you have a blender!
Presto!  Just fill and press a button!  Voila...salsa!
Then add your pineapple for a sweet treat.
Slice the zucchini, salt and let it sit a bit to sweat.
Toss them in salt and pepper and cornstarch and bake on a sprayed baking sheet.
Form those burgers and press them in the middle.
You can totally grill them, but I don't have one, so I used my trusty cast iron.
And then top with cheese, glorious cheese!
Nice and browned like I like them
You can totes add a bun if you aren't a carb depriver like me!
Tomatillo Pineapple Burgers: (Borrowed from Mix and Match Mama)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
2 tablespoons seasoned salt
two green inons, chopped (optional)
6 tomatillos, husks removed and rinsed off
3-4 garlic cloves
1 onion, sliced
1 jalapeno pepper, sliced (remove seeds for a less spicy version)
the juice of one lime
1 (8 oz) can Pineapple Tidbits (or crushed pineapple), drained
1 avocado, sliced
Pepper Jack Cheese slices
Salt and Pepper

To make the salsa, in the bowl of your food processor, combine tomatillos, garlic, onion, jalepeno, and lime juice and pulse until salsa consistency. Stir in your pineapple. Refrigerate until you’re ready to eat.  Preheat your outdoor grill or cast iron skillet to medium-high. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine ground beef with  seasoning and green onions, if using.. Divide ground beef mixture into 4 burger patties and season with salt and pepper. Grill about 6 minutes each side. Add a slice of cheese on top about a minute before they’re done.  To assemble your burgers, take one bun (if using) top with burger patty, sliced avocado and then your tomatillo-pineapple salsa.

Zucchini Fries:

Two large zucchini
salt and pepper
1 tbsp cornstarch

Preheat oven to 400.  Slice zucchini into thick fry shapes,  season with a good bit of salt and let sit for awhile to drain.  Pat dry with paper towels and add to big bowl.  Season with pepper and toss with cornstarch. Place foil on a baking sheet and spray to coat with cooking spray.  Place zucchini on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.  Flip and bake for another 5-10 minutes until desired crispness.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

Me and my unnamed niece

No comments