A rant about food blogging and good stuff from the comments (Steel cut oatmeal banana breakfast bites)

It took me a long time to draft and publish this post because I was not proud of how it came out.  The post I mean, not the recipe.  What is hard for a food blogger with a full time job is timing.  My photography teacher taught us that sometimes the shot just isn't there and you have to come back at a better time to take the picture.  Well, that is hard to do when you are creating a recipe from scratch with limited ingredients and the sunny day suddenly turns to rain!  I don't have much day time to do my blogging since my lawyering gig pays all the bills, so I try to cook a lot on the weekends when there is sun so this space looks pretty.  I tried to do that for this one, but the sun would not cooperate and it just looks dark.  I wish this was my full time job sometimes!

I was looking for a way to use up my Trader Joe's Steel Cut oats and went looking for what others had done with them.  A good resource for Trader Joe's shopping is the aptly named What's Good At Trader Joe's blog.  And in their post about the steel cut oatmeal, there was a comment that inspired me by a lady named Beth.  I say a lady because I clicked to her profile and she doesn't have a blog.  

Well I do, and I needed breakfast; so I decided to recreate her recipe.  It seemed so simple and she claimed they are only 2 Weight Watcher's points apiece.  She was right about the delicious, but I had to have two for breakfast to keep me from gnawing on everything in sight!  Like the overnight oats, these are WAY better heated up, but watch the chocolate, it can get a little messy. And if you don't like banana's, don't make this!  Full recipe to follow the montage.
Steel cut oatmeal banana breakfast bites
Cute and portable, just like I like a breakfast.
Steel cut oatmeal banana breakfast bites
The cast.  I edited this photo to bring some light to it. I should have cheated and used the flash!
Steel cut oatmeal banana breakfast bites
I mashed my bananas with my hardly ever used Mix and Chop from Pampered Chef
Steel cut oatmeal banana breakfast bites
Chop your almonds as evenly as you can or buy the slivered!
Steel cut oatmeal banana breakfast bites
Add them all to the bowl, and a few more chocolate chips if you think there's not enough like I did.
Steel cut oatmeal banana breakfast bites
The peanut putter was a tasty addition, I love it with banana.
Steel cut oatmeal banana breakfast bites
Scoop them on out and bake.  So easy!
Beth's Oatmeal Banana Breakfast Bites

Ingredients:

Two ripe bananas
1 cup of Traer Joe's Quick Cook Steel Cut oats
1 Tbsp chocolate chips
1 Tbsp peanut butter
1/8 cup almonds (chopped)
1 tsp of vanilla
sprinkle of cinnamon.

Preheat oven to 350. Mash the bananas in a large bowl, stir in everything else until well blended, and spoon out onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until you want them to be cookie-like. Microwave for 15 or 20 seconds to reheat when enjoying.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments