The people have spoken! (Broccoli, Caramelized Onion and Gruyere Galette)

As you can tell, I sure have lost my blogging mojo.  Like bad.  I was having a slow day at work recently and was looking for a recipe to recreate from a few years ago and went on a rabbit hole on my own blog.  I love that this is a time capsule of some of the best years of my life.  I am going to try and keep it up so I don't regret quitting!

This is not one of my usual food posts because I had no intention of doing step by step photos.  I made this for book club and then again for Kevin and I.  I got so many asks for the recipe, I just had to do a post.  I based this off a Smitten Kitchen recipe with many riffs.  I even bought a tart pan and decided against using it.  I feel like I changed it up enough to call this a Missy Original!

Now, I will tell you — puff pastry with anything on it is delightful.  I stock up on Trader Joe's all-butter kind when they have it and sadly, this is my last sheet.  But this was just so delightful, and vegetarian to boot!  You could probably roll out some crescent roll dough or pizza dough and make this as well.  Ooh, or some canned biscuits!  The original recipe was cauliflower and I made this with romanesco and broccoli.   All will work!  Full recipe after the photos below!

Broccoli, Caramelized Onion and Gruyere Galette
Here it is with broccoli

Broccoli, Caramelized Onion and Gruyere Galette
And here is is with romanesco!

Broccoli, Caramelized Onion and Gruyere Galette:

1 sheet of puff pastry, thanwed (but keep it in the fridge until it's time to fill it!)
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
1 onion, sliced into strips
3-5 cloves of garlic, minced (I used 5, you probably want less unless you love garlic)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
a few dashes of cayenne pepper (optional)
2 tbsp. of marscapone cheese
2 tbsp. dijon mustard
1 cup or more of shredded gruyere cheese
1/2 lemon, zested (optional)
1 egg

Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet and heat on medium high heat.  When hot, add the onions and stir to combine.  Lower heat and allow to caramelize, about 20 minutes.  Add the garlic and stir and lower the heat all the way.  Let it sit while you prep everything else.  While they are cooking, heat the oven to 400.  In a bowl, toss the broccoli with a little oil and the garlic and onion powder and salt an pepper.  Add cayenne if using.  Foil or parchment paper a sheet and place the broccoli on it.  Place in preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes, tossing halfway.

When the broccoli is almost done, mix the marscapone and dijon mustard in a bowl.  Remove your puff pastry from the fridge and place on a lightly floured cutting board.  Roll it out with a rolling pin if it has shrunk. Place on a piece of parchment paper. Spread the mascarpone mixture onto the puff pastry.  Remove the broccoli and the foil or parchment from the oven, but leave the pan in there.  Combine the caramelized onions, broccoli, gruyere cheese and lemon zest in a bowl.  Add more seasoning, if desired.  Spoon this mixture over the prepared puff pastry, leaving space all around the edges.  Fold over the edges, overlapping them if you can.  Beat the egg and brush it over the pastry.  Place the parchment paper and pastry in the oven on the hot pan.  Cook for 20 minutes, or until the edges are brown.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments