I keep my promises! (Beer Cheese Soup with Kale and Sausage)

I posted this soup on a Friday Favorites post many moons ago and promised to post the recipe soon. Well, here I am  over a year later posting it! I subscribe to Plain Chicken's emails and I knew I wanted to make  beer cheese soup the second I got an email containing a recipe for same. I had a hankering for soup and some leeks and kale on hand from Covey Rise Farms that I had to incorporate.  I did a search and saw Epicurious (now subscriber only) had one incorporating leeks.  I decided to figure out my own way to add the kale.

Well I did and it was delicious. There is just something so comforting about soup on a cold day. And cooking with beer gives dishes such a distinct flavor.  If you don't drink alcohol or are serving this to kids, don't worry!  It all cooks out and just leaves flavor.  You can sub any green for the kale or leave it out, and same for the sausage.  What is your favorite soup?  Full recipe to follow the montage.


Beer Cheese Soup with Kale and Sausage
Pinnable image accidently is first.  Look how yummy!


Beer Cheese Soup with Kale and Sausage
The cast.  My lighting felt off on this evening for all the photos.

Beer Cheese Soup with Kale and Sausage
I do not cook with leeks enough.  These were babies!

Beer Cheese Soup with Kale and Sausage
Smelling good!

Beer Cheese Soup with Kale and Sausage
Nothing beats freshly grated cheese!

Beer Cheese Soup with Kale and Sausage
Kale always makes any recipe feel healthier.

Beer Cheese Soup with Kale and Sausage
Almost looks like a dip!

Beer Cheese Soup with Kale and Sausage
All ready to go and get in my belly!

Beer Cheese Soup with Kale and Sausage (inspired by Plain Chicken and Epicurious)

2 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), cleaned and cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 cups)
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
3 cloves garlic finely chopped 
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk (I used 1 cup half and half and 1 cup water because that is what I had)
1 cup chicken broth 
1 (12-oz) bottle or can of beer (I used shiner bock, but any will do!)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
dash of cayenne pepper (or more to taste!)
2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar (more cheese can be added if you want!)
1 pack of smoked sausage, diced
1 large handful of kale, cut into small pieces

Cook leeks, carrots, celery and garlic in butter in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to moderately low and sprinkle flour over vegetables, then cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add milk, broth, and beer in a stream, whisking, then simmer, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, and pepper. Lower heat and let simmer while you cook spinach and kale. Heat a cast iron skillet or similar pan over medium.  Add the sausage and kale and season with salt and pepper.  Stir and cook until sausage is browned and kale is wilted.

Add cheese by handfuls to the soup, stirring constantly, and cook until cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes (you can raise the heat, but do not boil). Add the kale and sausage and stir to combine.  Ladle into bowls and top with sliced green onions or any other topping of your choice. 

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments