Easy and so cosmopolitan! (Smoky bacon kale)

This is a very simple recipe that is only getting it's own post because it is part of a long Sunday where I made lots of things, and they all combined for a delicious main dish that I will share at the end.

Kale is a funny veggie. It was only there for garnish for the Ruby Tuesday salad bar all those years and then someone decided to make it and Brussels sprouts trendy. I was glad "they" did because I was never served such things as a tot and I love me a bitter green now in my adulthood. There was a Kalegate here in New Orleans after a profile on people moving here for TV and movies gleaned this awesomely hipsterish quote, "New Orleans is not cosmopolitan. There's no kale here."

Well Tara, I beg to differ with you, but there is plenty of kale to be had here and was before the Kalegate. And this is why. Because it is healthy and hardy and pairs well with bacon. Look how easy this is; kale, bacon, onion and chicken broth. Hello, so easy! This is good on its own, with cheese, with meat or stuffed in a taco or as you will see for taco Tuesday next week, enchiladas! Try it, you will love it! Full recipe to follow the montage.

Smoky Kale
So easy!  Bacon makes everything better!
Smoky Kale
Saute the chopped onions and bacon and then add kale!


Smoky Kale
Add broth and cook until wilted and enjoy!
Smoky Kale
I added some cheese and homemade cream of celery soup for my next trick of the day.


Smoky Kale

2 lbs of kale washed, chopped and destemmed
3 strips of hickory smoked bacon, chopped
one onion, chopped
two cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
a dash or two of liquid smoke if you like it extra smoky

Heat a dutch oven over medium heat.  Add bacon and cook until fat begins to render.  Add onion and cook until wilted.  Add kale and stir to combine.  Add broth and cook until greens are wilted, about 20-25 minutes.

Happy Cooking!

Missy






No comments