A delightful brunch for a beautiful momma to be (New Orleans Style Grits and Grillades)

Hey y'all!  Back and well rested after a lovely Hogs for the Cause.  I am going to recap that Friday.  But enjoy this post about what I made for one of my teammates' baby shower! 

I was not going to blog about this recipe but took some pictures just in case.  But, as you can see, I am blogging about it! My beautiful friend Susana recently had a beautiful baby girl, Julia Jane.  We threw a shower for her a few weeks before the Julia's arrival and since it was a brunch; I offered to make grits and grillades for it.  I decided to make a super large batch so that she could take some home and freeze it, and maybe I could too!  I made these for my friend Toni's baby shower many many moons ago and remember how good they were leftover.

Making such a large batch is tough, but I had the patience and cookware for it and used Guidry's Fresh cuts as a short cut.   I got so many compliments on these at the shower!  Most people thought they were catered or store bought!  If you make a normal size for you and yours, it is much less daunting.  The flavor of this is so rich and delicious!  And it is not just for brunch, this makes a hearty supper too.  Make these, you will not be disappointed, I promise!  Full recipe to follow the montage.

New Orleans Style Grits and Grillades
Look how rich and thick!
New Orleans Style Grits and Grillades
Meat browned in bacon is just amazing.
New Orleans Style Grits and Grillades
Since this was a catering "gig" I broke out the big pot.  That's a lot of trinity!
New Orleans Style Grits and Grillades
And that is a Costco size can of tomatoes!
New Orleans Style Grits and Grillades
Mix it all in good.
New Orleans Style Grits and Grillades
I was sad to use the whole bottle of wine, I usually like to drink the rest!
New Orleans Style Grits and Grillades
The pot was just big enough!

New Orleans style Grits and Grillades (Adapted from La Bonne Cuisine Cookbook-out of print)

4 lbs beef round steak
1/2 cup bacon grease or other fat (I highly suggest the bacon grease)
1/2 cup flour
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green onions
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped bell pepper
5 cloves garlic, minced
1  can diced tomatoes
1 tsp thyme
1 cup chicken or beef broth
1 cup red wine (get one you like to drink to enjoy the rest with the meal)
1 container white button mushrooms cleaned and chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp hot sauce such as Tabasco
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup chopped parsley

1-2 cups prepared grits for serving

Pound the meat on both sides to about ½ inch thickness, then cut into 4 inch squares. Season the meat  with the salt & pepper. In a cast iron dutch oven, heat  half the bacon grease over medium heat until very hot, but not smoking. Brown the meat well on both sides without burning. Transfer to a plate.  Add the rest of the bacon grease and flour and combine and stir constantly until you have a dark roux.   Add the onions, green onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic and, stirring frequently, cook until the vegetables are soft but not brown. Add tomatoes and thyme and cook for 3 minutes.  Add the broth, wine and mushrooms and stir well.  Return the meat and the accumulated juice from the plate back to the pot. Add in hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and more salt and pepper to taste.   Submerge the meat in the sauce and simmer for about 1 ½ hours or until very tender. Stir in fresh parsley.  Plate a scoop of the grits and then cover in Grillades (the meat and sauce).

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments