Failing while delicious (buffalo chicken taquitos)

I'm a a sucker for anything with buffalo sauce.  If they weren't so fattening I'd have buffalo wings every weekend.  I really should have a Pinterest board dedicated to buffalo flavored things. Once the weather "officially" cools down I will definitely be making this awesome soup.  I needed to make a quick appetizer for a football party and was in a wing mood so I decide to try out Buffalo Chicken Taquitos.  There's a million recipes for them on the internet I looked at all an decided to create my own version. Most of them used flour tortillas or eggroll wrappers. Frugal Frannie had, you guessed it, corn tortillas laying around so I decide to make them with those.  I tried and failed to make them food blogger pretty, but they tasted damn good!

The cast: low fat cream cheese, two (which turned out to be three) chicken thighs, wing sauce, ranch. seasoned salt, cheddar, green onions and corn tortillas
Seasoned and searing in my clutch grill pan


Mix cream cheese and wing sauce

Grate cheese (you can use already shredded of course, I just had this) chop green onions and chicken
Mix all the chopped stuff with the cream cheese mixture


Spread a little (this is two small spoonfuls) on your tortilla

Roll up and realize that kind of old corn tortillas were not a good option.

I tried again by brushing it with water.  Again fail.

I tried then brushing it with olive oil.  Again, fail.
I heated the oil in a pan and then heated for a few seconds on each side.  Success!


Minutes later, my success turned to fail.

They ended up like oddly shaped quesadillas!

Well I decided not to bring them to the party, but they sure tasted great!
Here's the recipe.  I would use flour tortillas to avoid the breakage so here is how I would make it with those.  The filling is good by itself, maybe would be nice in a lettuce wrap form too...hmmm there's an idea!


Makes 16 pieces:

3 boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
Seasoned salt
2 green onions, sliced into small rounds
1/3 cup cheddar cheese (or bleu if you like that, I don't)
1 block reduced fat cream cheese
1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
8 flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 425. Season the chicken with seasoned salt and cook over medium flame in a non stick skillet or grill pan until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes each side.  Meanwhile chop green onions and then mix cream cheese and hot sauce in a bowl  When chicken is cooked, shred or finely chop.  Fold chicken, cheese, and green onions into cream cheese mixture.  Place a heaping spoonful at the edge of a tortilla.  Roll up tightly and place seam side down on a baking sheet.  Repeat with remaining tortillas.  Spray with cooking spray.  Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, flipping halfway.  Serve cut into halves with ranch or bleu cheese dressing for dipping.

Happy Cooking!

Missy


No comments