The cabbage could have been cooked longer: Adventures in dining with Mimi (philly cheesesteak cabbage rolls)

When I started my little to no carb lifestyle I was cooking for a man too.  I couldn't just have chicken and Brussels sprouts every night to be easy; I needed to get creative.  It's paying off for the blog now!  This was one of the first things I made in the early days from one of my favorite blogs, the food in my beard.  It combines two of my favorite things, creative food and beards. (swoon!)  I doctored it up the first time I made it (see the comments on this pin)  and the ex Kevin said "baby, you can make this every night!"  I knew it was a keeper, unlike he turned out to be!

I was cooking dinner for my mom and my sister as their husbands were out and I thought this would kill two birds with one stone; my mother's love of red meat and sissy's and my little to no carb lifestyle.  Now I know why I live alone, the peanut gallery is way harsh, Tai!



The cast: flank steak, cabbage, fire roasted tomatoes, onions (the equiv. of two large) cheese and garlic.
I forgot my banana pepper at home so I used these ones from my sister's hollygrove box.  They were hot!
Caramelize the onions (if using banana peppers they wouldn't go in yet)
Season steak with salt and pepper and cut into pieces.
Boil your cabbage to your liking.  Or to your guests' which is a much better idea!
Mix all the goodness together.
Place some goodness in a piece of cabbage and roll up.
Repeat as many times as you have cabbage and goodness.
Um, you're using canned tomatoes?!  Isn't that like cheating?  Thanks, sis!
Bake for 45 minutes.  I only baked for 35 because it was late and everyone was hungry.
Mimi thought it could have been cooked longer.  She is sometimes the reason I cook with wine.
Served it with some avocado and that yummy garlic dressing I told you about.  Don't worry, I had another after this.
Philly Cheesesteak Cabbage Rolls (based on The Food in my Beard)


Ingredients:

6-8 non ripped pieces from a head of cabbage
1.5 lb of flank steak
2 onions
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup of banana peppers with juice
1 cup of shredded cheese of your choice (I used mexican blend)
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
Salt, pepper, olive oil

Preheat oven to 400.  Slice the onions and add to a pan with olive oil over low medium heat. Caramelize them for 30-45 minutes, stirring sporadically.  When done, add garlic.  While onions are cooking, season steak and cut into slices.  Cook in another pan set to high heat until it is browned on each side.  Add steak, cheese and peppers to onion pan (when it is done) and combine.  Also while the onions are caramelizing, boil your cabbage leaves for a few minutes until they are no longer stiff. Remove them and place a scoop of steak and onion mixture in it.  Roll up and place in a sprayed casserole dish.  repeat.  Top with tomatoes (including any juice) and add another light handful of cheese. Add salt and pepper and place in oven.  Cook for 45 minutes or until everyone is hungry and it is almost ready.

Happy Cooking!

Missy





No comments