When life gives you short ribs you make...enchiladas?

I mean how could I resist!  I had some leftover enchilada sauce in my freezer from when I made semi authentic enchiladas a few weeks ago and the leftover short ribs were just screaming to become enchiladas.  I had all the accompaniments laying around as well. Well and I grabbed another hatch chili again as I am a total nerd for hatch season as an ex Texan. To the action!
Can't go wrong with this group!  Green onion, cilantro, beef gravy (enchilada sauce), short ribs,
cheddar, onion, hatch chili and corn tortillas.  
No, this isn't a stock photo, I actually do saute onions this much!
Minutes later the stem caught on fire.
Steamy...
Get your corn tortillas pliable in a greased cast iron.
The assembly line
Before baking
And after baking.  So good!

Leftover Shortrib Enchiladas:

Ingredients:
8 corn tortillas
about 2 cups of leftover short ribs, shredded
one medium onion cut into slices
One hatch chile
1 cup enchilada sauce
1/2 cup sharp cheddar
chopped cilantro and green onion for garnish

Preheat oven to 450. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium low heat.  Add olive oil.  When hot, add onions and cook until semi caramelized, about 10 minutes.  In the meantime, heat the hatch chile over gas stove flame or roast with a long lighter until burnt.  Place in a sealed plastic bag to steam.  When steamed, take chile out and scrape off skin and chop into small strips.  Take the onions out of the pan and heat corn tortillas one at a time about 7 seconds each side until pliable.  Pour 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce in your baking dish.  Assemble the enchiladas with meat, onion, and hatch.  Roll up and place seam side down on the baking dish.  Pour sauce evenly over and sprinkle with cheese.  Sprinkle cilantro and green onion over cheese.  Place in preheated oven and cook for 10 minutes.  You can also stick it under the broiler at the end to brown the cheese.

I added pickled jalapenos on top because I love them.  I kin of wished I had put a little cheese in the middle too but it wasn't absolutely needed.  The hatch and onion are totally optional too!

Happy Cooking!

Missy  

No comments