When the title of a recipe is made to target you (roasted sweet potato wraps with caramelized onions and pesto)

I love when you put random ingredients together and they make sense!  These wraps combined three ingredients I love so I was sold.  I only wish I would have made more caramelized onions!  When you think you need two, you usually do!  The original recipe originally called for portabello mushrooms. I'm not a fan of the taste of those so I subbed a red bell pepper.  I thought something was missing and that is probably what it was, no umami.  I used leftover pesto from this recipe.  Maybe next time I will add avocado or white beans or regular mushrooms or some wilted greens to give it more, for lack of a better word, girth.

You will need two sweet potatoes. an onion, pesto, olive oil, Parmesan cheese,
low carb tortillas, a carton of  cherry tomatoes and a red bell pepper.
Again, not a stock photo.  I love caramelized onions! 
I have learned many lessons in the past.  Always use two baking sheets!

Roasted and caramelized, mmm!
A much cleaner assembly line than enchiladas!


Pre rolling
I preemptively froze half for another day.  Ah I love a four day work week!

I also had a wild hair and brought a little Tupperware of pizza sauce to dip them in, a very nice addition. 

Roasted Sweet Potato Wraps with caramelized onions and pesto:
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup pesto, store-bought or homemade
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
One red bell pepper, cut into small pieces
1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
8 to 10 whole-wheat burrito-sized wraps
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.

Arrange the sweet potato cubes, red pepper pieces and tomatoes on the baking sheets. Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and then spread in a single, even layer (keep tomato slices with the skin face down to avoid sticking to the pan). Roast for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring several times until the tomatoes have softened and the sweet potatoes have browned. 

While the vegetables are roasting, caramelize the onions. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil, and when hot, add the onions. Lower the heat to eium low  Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until soft and caramelized. Turn down the heat if onions begin to brown too quickly. When done, remove the onions from the pan.


Rewarm the skillet over medium-high heat. Heat each wrap for about 10 seconds on each side in the skillet, or until the wrap becomes pliable. Spread 2 teaspoons of pesto across middle of wrap. Add handful of sweet potato cubes, a few red pepper pieces and a tablespoon each of caramelized onions, tomatoes, and Parmesan cheese. Close the wrap by first folding in the sides and then rolling from the bottom up, tucking the sides in as you go. Repeat for remaining wraps. Refrigerate for several days, or wrap tightly in foil and freeze for up to 6 months.

I'll come back and let you know if I make them with an added ingredient.  In the meantime, if you do, let me know please!

Happy Cooking!


Missy

No comments