Almost Vegan-Keeping the trauma trim alive (cauliflower and chickpea quinoa with tahini drizzle)

Just kidding about the title.  Well not really.  I was hoping the result of this breakup would be some good old fashioned trauma trim.  The last time I had a "real" breakup, I lost over 10 pounds and looked like a high schooler.  That was 10 years ago before the evil 30 hit (you ladies know what I'm talking about).  When I lived in Austin it was super easy and even encouraged to be vegan.  I went vegan for a hot minute and lost a few pounds when I couldn't do it by working out more. While I had the trauma trim in mind, this recipe was simply to be healthy, frugal and to use some things I had on hand.  It makes 3-4 portions and I made it for lunch for the week. Here is my take on this recipe from Cooking Light.

I didn't use the ranch that is pictured because I had enough sour cream.
I also used some green onions that are not pictured.  

Ingredients:
Olive oil
One whole head of cauliflower, chopped
One onion chopped
One can of chickpeas drained, rinsed and patted dry
4 cloves garlic, kept whole (this is optional, I just love garlic)
spice mix, recipe follows (optional, salt and pepper will work just fine too)
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted in a skillet
One handful cilantro chopped
2 tbsp. tahini
2 tbsp. sour cream (can sub Greek yogurt)
1 clove garlic minced
juice of three small limes
2 tsp.  low sodium soy sauce
green onions for garnish

Spice mix:
2 tsp each:
aleppo pepper, smoked paprika, curry powder, seasoned salt

This is how I chopped my cauliflower:

That's alot of cauliflower!
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine your chopped cauliflower, onion, chickpeas and whole garlic in a bowl.  Drizzle some olive oil and add the seasoning blend or salt and pepper then mix it around.
this was pre mixing
Place your mixture on a baking sheet

Decide that is too crowded and put it on two baking sheets...
Let them have space!
Roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway.  while this is roasting, make your tahini drizzle.  Combine tahini, sour cream, minced garlic, lemon juice and soy sauce.  Add some salt and pepper.  whisk vigorously.
I ended up adding a little smoked paprika as well. 
When veggies are finished roasting, combine them, the quinoa, pine nuts and chopped cilantro in a bowl.  add a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper.  Garnish with chopped green onions.  Serve with a hearty drizzle of tahini dressing.
I did not serve immediately as I was making this for lunch for the week.  I parceled it out to three servings and had it ready to go for each day!


Healthy eating takes a lot of work but it it worth the benefits and results!  This recipe was delicious, but may be an acquired taste for some!  My coworkers liked it so much they asked for their own portion!

Happy Cooking!

Missy












No comments