Pot Roast does not mend a broken heart.

When I need comforting, I make comfort food.  I had "Steven Gurley Gravy" which is my deceased grandmother's signature dish about 4 times while I was moving out of the shared house.  I got a little sad about the breakup this weekend despite the blast I had so I decided to make a Sunday pot roast.  Unfortunately my day got away from me and I didn't put it in until almost 8 pm, and I didn't get to fully enjoy it until lunch today.  It was delightful.  My heart is still broken, but its a little more healed after this pot roast extravaganza!  Full recipe after the action shots.  I based my recipe on this one that I found on good ol' Pinterest.  

The Cast of Characters.  I ended up using only two onions and one bulb of garlic total.
Cut slits in your roast and stuff pieces of garlic in it
You know I love garlic so I used alot!
Mix your flour and seasoned salt together and then cover the roast in flour
Brown the roast about 2 minutes per side to get a nice crust on it.  Remove it to a plate
Add a little more oil and throw two sliced onions in.  Cook for 5 minutes to get the rawness out.
Add your meat back in and add the wine and broth.  Finish bottle of wine and try not to send inappropriate texts to your ex. 
Cook in the oven for 3 hours at 375.  This is the finished product with flash
and this is the finished product without flash.
I tried a little over some pureed cauliflower I had leftover.  Delish!
Pot Roast with onion gravy:

Ingredients:
olive oil
2 lb chuck roast (you can go bigger, it was just for me so I went small)
1/2 cup of flour
generous shakes of seasoned salt
2 onions, sliced into strips
Bulb of garlic, chopped not minced
32 oz. carton of beef broth
1/2 cup of red wine
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
Preheat oven to 375.  Cut slits into the roast and stuff with pieces of garlic, as much or as little as you like.  Mix the flour and seasoned salt and cover the roast in seasoned flour.  Heat some oil in a lidded dutch oven over medium heat, brown the roast on all sides, about 2 minutes per side.  Remove roast to a plate  Add a little more oil and saute the onions for about 5 minutes.  Throw in the rest of your garlic and cook another minute.   Place the roast on top the onions and pour your broth and wine over it.  Turn up the heat.  When it comes to a boil, place the lid on the pot and stick it in the oven.  Cook for 3 hours, flipping it over about halfway through, until roast is fall apart tender.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower. Or just have it by itself like I had for lunch today!

I am going to make creative leftovers with this for a Cuban dish and throw out a fun sandwich idea too.  Post coming soon!

Time keeps on ticking and that is just what I need to mend!

Happy Cooking!

Missy



No comments