Remind me again why I wanted to stop making my own pizza? (Hatch onionand bacon pizza on semi whole wheat crust)

I love pizza almost as much as I love Mexican food.  But like Mexican food, pizza is way fattening! It's good to make at home and cut some calories.  I am not the best at pizza making, which was pointed out to me by my ex every time we did.  I can make a good dough and pick ingredients, but when it comes to stretching out said dough and cooking it, lets just say I should file that under steaks and have someone else make it for me.  Now that I have lost my pizza cooking companion, I decided to try again.  This time not too bad!
Not pictured, sugar and water as it was in my kettle
Homemade semi whole wheat pizza dough: (makes two medium sized pizzas)

1 and 2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 packet active dry yeast (I used Hodgson Mill)
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup hot water divided
olive oil
cornmeal for dusting


This version uses a stand mixer.  I based it off this Food Network recipe that did not use one.

Place flours, yeast sugar and salt in stand mixer with dough hook attachment.  Mix on low for 2 minutes.
While it is running, add 2/3 cup hot water
Mix for a minute, then add 2 tablespoons olive oil
When it gets crumbly, add remaining 1/3 cup hot water and scrape down the sides.  Add more oil if it looks dry.
Keep mixer running until dough forms a ball.  After five minutes of that, stop mixer.
Place dough in an oiled boil and cover with plastic wrap.  Let rise in a dark warm place (I put it in the pantry) for a half hour.
Preheat oven to 475 and place a pizza stone or two in the oven.
After a half hour of rising, divide into two equal portions and flatten each out on a cornmeal dusted board to roll out into a pizza.
Place crust onto preheated pizza stone.  Place desired toppings on crust and bake for 7-10 minutes or until desired doneness.


I decided to be creative and make a hatch chile (tis the season) caramelized onion and bacon pizza.

Slow caramelized onions:
1 onion sliced
1 tbsp fat
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.  Add fat (butter, oil or bacon grease) and melt. Add sliced onion.  Reduce heat to low and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I roasted my chiles, you can find the other time I did this here for a full tutorial.




Here is before it went in the oven


And here is when I took it out 15 minutes later as I lost track of time doing laundry.


The hatches were hella hot (Whole foods had hot and mild I decided to be tough and get hot!)

The crust was good in a rush, but as usual I was bad at pulling into a proper crust.  What really made the pizza a semi fail was overcooking and the too hot chiles.


One day I will make a perfect pizza!

Make your own pizza dough  It's not as hard as it sounds, there are several on the internet that may be even easier.

Happy Cooking!

Missy


No comments