No soup for you! Okay you can have some! (Roasted hatch and corn chowder)

I make lunch for the week usually and tend to get a little tired of it by the end of the week.  I hate wasting food.  Solution?  Make lunch for my work besties as well!  I let them have a bite of the cauliflower dish from last week and they were hooked!  I pinned this recipe  from Simply Recipes and decided to doctor it up a little.  I also got to cook it at my sister's very nice and fancy kitchen as I was dog sitting while she and her little family were at the beach.

I love when it is hatch season and all you can find is hatch chile things everywhere!  It was really prevalent in Austin but I am seeing it more her in New Orleans too.  Do y'all have hatch season where you are? Full recipe to follow the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday over at Southern Plate and others!

The cast


Check out this ingenious way I just figured out how to cleanly get corn off the cob!

  

  Roast your peppers, steam them, de-skin (much like the yummy relleno from a previous dinner) and then chop them.
My sister has a pretty gas stove!

Melt your butter in a soup pot and add onions and celery.  Saute until translucent.  Add garlic for a minute.


Add the potatoes, stock, hot sauce and spices to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender  Then add in corn and peppers and simmer for another 5 minutes.

Don't judge me!
                                             


Add in the heavy cream and the cilantro. At this point you can blend up some of it or use an immersion blender to make it less chunky. Also season your soup with salt and pepper.


Before blending with immersion blender.  Had to wait until I got home because my sister doesn't have one.  

All parceled out for me and the work besties!
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons of butter
Two hatch chiles or poblanos roasted
Two onions, chopped (not pictured)
2 stalks of celery, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced (not pictured) (remember my warning about my love of garlic)
2 potatoes cut into chunks
4 ears of corn, cut the corn off the cob
6 cups of chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
One cup heavy cream
1/4 cup of mexican style hot sauce (optional)
Handful of chopped cilantro
Fresh limes for garnish (don't skip this part, it makes a difference!)
Salt and pepper to taste



I added some chopped chicken breast to the bottom of each bowl to stretch the recipe out a little. This is also optional, but a good addition!




Chop your veggies and try not to cut your hands.  By the way, this knife is my jam.  The ex had one and I loved it so much I bought my sister one.  


Roast the chiles. There are lots of ways to do this I tend to just put them either directly on the flame on the stove. Just make sure they get blackened all over. Then put them in a plastic bag, seal and , cover the bowl and let them steam.  When they've cooled down enough to touch, cut them open, remove the innards then strip off the charred bits on the outside, I like to run a spoon down them.

Melt butter in a 5 to 6 quart heavy-bottomed pot on medium high heat. Once the butter is melted, add the onions and the celery, stir to coat with the butter. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, lowering the heat to medium, until the onions and celery are softened and are beginning to brown add then add in the garlic.  While the veggies are cooking, cut the fresh kernels of corn away from the cobs.
Add the potatoes and the stock to the pot. Add the cumin, oregano, and salt. Increase heat and bring to a simmer. Lower heat to maintain a simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes until the potatoes are just cooked through.

Add the corn kernels to the pot and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until cooked through. Add the chopped roasted poblanos to the pot. Stir in the cream, cilantro and hot sauce, if using. Add black pepper, more or less to taste. At this point, if you want a thicker base for your chowder, you can use an immersion blender to purée about a third of the soup. 

When you serve the soup, squeeze some fresh lime juice in the bowl and mix it in.  Don't do it before serving, acid and cream is a bad combo for a long term relationship! Co workers wanted a little avocado or something to go with it.  I wanted some crunch, next time I may not blend it so much.  Prepping lunch ahead of time is time consuming and takes some planning, but if you have it there for you already, there's less temptation to eat something bad!

Happy Cooking!

Missy



No comments