I get by with with a little help from the dolls (book club recap andcauliflower disaster)

PLast night we had our first book club meeting in awhile. We decided to go trashy and read valley of the dolls. As usual, the book wasn't discussed and we just ate, drank, gossiped and caught up.

Here was our lovely spread:

Look how healthy we are!

until we dipped that healthyness in cheese fondue!
These are the best chicken fingers ever!  And they came from Rouses!
More health food ;)
Our little "dolls" adorned everything!
What I made, so stinking stinky!


Since I am trying to live as low carb as possible I decided to try something retro and low carb.  All the nostalgia websites I visited had dips on endive as a 60's staple.  I looked on pinterest and found this semi healthy dish.  Here is my how to.  The filling was very stinky after awhile sitting in a tupperware.  I will make this again but next time add some goat cheese or feta to the mix, it needed something like that.

Ingredients:

4 cups coarsely chopped cauliflower florets (I used a little less than two heads)
Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste

4 ounces bacon, chopped4 cloves minced garlic

1/2 an onion chopped

1 tablespoon sherry vinegar

1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs: I used cilantro, rosemary and basil because I had leftovers)

24 belgian endive leaves (about 2 small heads) (had to fins this at Whole Foods!)

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 400°.

2. Arrange chopped cauliflower florets in a single layer on two 13 x 9-inch metal baking pans. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil; sprinkle with black pepper and kosher salt, tossing to combine. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until cauliflower is lightly browned. Stir once or twice while it is in there.

3. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add bacon to pan; sauté 5 minutes, add onion for 5 minutes and saute until bacon is crisp and onions are transulcent. Add garlic to pan; sauté 1 minute.

4. Combine cauliflower mixture, bacon mixture, and vinegar in a large bowl; coarsely mash with a fork. Stir in chopped herbs. Spoon 2 tablespoons cauliflower mixture into each endive leaf. (here I would add some cheese) Serve warm or at room temperature.



The ingredients
As usual, place on one pan like the directions say
And then realize that is too crowded and you need two sheets.
Chop onions
Chop bacon


Try not to chop your thumb


Saute smells divine for now!
Before
After
Roasted and yummy
Final product!

It was a fun night! If you try the recipe let me know how it turns out! Ps did this
On my phone so it may look wonky. I got a camera today so the pics will start getting better!

Happy reading and cooking!!

Missy














No comments