Noodles are sometimes overrated in my book! (Chicken yakisoba)

I have been living the little to no carb lifestyle since January.  That combined with Pure Barre has helped me lose 10 pounds and 2 sizes and keep it off.  It's easier to do than being on a strict diet.  I just try not to purchase carbs or cook them during the week and then I can eat what I want on the weekends (as long as I go to class at least 5 times a week). I decided to give myself a treat and have some noodles since I am having such a hard week.  I pinned this recipe for Chicken Yakisoba back when I was living in Texas and never made it.  It looked so good so I decided to try it out.  I got some fancy noodles back when I went to Hong Kong market for my fancy pants enchiladas so it was time to make it.  I ended up not wanting the noodles and only eating the meat and veggies out of it.  I have trained myself well!  Full recipe after the step by step.

The cast of characters.  Lots of chopping followed.

I'll stir fry you in my wok!

As usual I had to get myself a second pan as it was too crowded in the wok!

Memories!  Ramen was my jam in college.



The finished product, looks yummy! This was one serving, I stored all components separately for leftovers. Which is good because I won't be having noodles!

Chicken Yakisoba (loosely adapted from Budget Bytes

Ingredients:

Stir fry:
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 tbsp. Sesame oil (I didn't have any so I did vegetable oil and seasoned the chicken with sesame seeds)
2 carrots cut into matchsticks
1 onion cut into slices
3 cloves minced garlic
1 crown of broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
half a head of cabbage cut into strips (or you can just get a bag of coleslaw in lieu of this and the carrots)
2 inch piece of ginger, minced
2 packages of Ramen noodles, seasoning discarded.

Sauce:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. Ketchup
1 tbsp. Sriracha (I like it spicy, use less if you don't)
I wish I would have added 1 tsp. dijon mustard.

Bring a pot of water to boil. Cut your veggies and then cut chicken into strips. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add oil to wok. Stir fry chicken until no longer pink. Add your veggies and stir fry until wilted, about 7 minutes. While that is happening, boil noodles for 3 minutes. Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Drain noodles and mix noodles, stir fry and sauce in a large bowl. Toss to combine and serve immediately.

The sauce was kind of sweet for my taste that's why I wanted to add mustard. the noodles were good, but too much for me. It may have been the combined sweetness of sauce and carb overload. Stir fry is always my favorite but not my specialty. Getting better with time though!

Happy Cooking!
Missy


No comments