Steak and potatoes, lower carb and lady style (Marinated skirt steakand sweet potato stacks)

I love trying new things and eating non-traditional food.  I was raised by a momma who wasn't that way, she loves her meat and potatoes.  Therefore, nothing is as comforting and yummy as a steak and a fully loaded baked potato.  Now that I am over thirty and trying to keep my girlish figure those kinds of meals during the week are few and far between!  

I had pinned these sweet potato stacks awhile ago and wanted to try them since it feels like fall. My sister and I went to Costco together recently and decided to split a pack of skirt steaks.  I usually make a citrus marinade or use some soy and Worcestershire sauces for my skirt steaks.  I was in Baton Rouge for an appointment and decided to stop in at Trader Joe's and stock up on cheap wine staples.  I picked up their Island Soyaki marinade on a whim and I am so glad I did.  This stuff is delicious.  I can't wait to try it on something else and to try and replicate the flavor of it myself.  

As for the sweet potato stacks, they came out very yummy despite me not having the right equipment. I know I had a muffin pan but perhaps I hid it while unpacking or maybe it belonged to the ex.  Oh well, I improvised!  Also, I refrained from using a mandolin even though I own one.  Last time I used it for sweet potatoes I almost had to visit the emergency room and lost a fingernail (sorry for the mental image). Full recipe after the montage.

So simple!  Marinade, meat, butter, cheese, rosemary, sweet potato and garlic.
This is about a 1.5 pound skirt steak.  I used 1 cup of marinade.  I had a lot leftover of both.
Chop garlic, rosemary and sweet potato
Mix cheese, garlic, rosemary and melted butter in a bowl.  Please don't drink it despite the temptation!
Add the sweet potatoes to that mixture and mix with your hands to coat.
I realized I didn't have a muffin tin so I improvised with cookie cutters
melt a smallish pat of butter and add steak.
Cook on each side for 7 minutes.  Look at that crust!
When cooked, let it rest. You will be sorry if you don't
I wouldn't call it a fail, they look pretty good!
The perfect medium.  You could probably do 5 on each side if you want rarer.
A dainty dinner for a little to no carbing lady.

Marinated skirt steak:

1.5 pound skirt steak
1 cup marinade of your choice
1/2 tbsp butter



Marinate the steak in a leakproof bag with marinade for at least 30 minutes.  Melt butter in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When butter is bubbling, add steak.  Cook on each side for 7 minutes. Transfer to a ridged cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.

Sweet potato Stacks:


1 medium sweet potato, thinly sliced
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried, plus more for garnish
Kosher salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat 12 standard-sized muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.

Thinly slice sweet potatoes. In a large bowl, whisk together butter, Parmesan and rosemary. Add sliced sweet potatoes and toss to coat evenly. Layer potato slices into muffin pan and fill to the top. (They will shrink down as they cook.) Sprinkle with salt.

Bake for 35 minutes, depending on thickness of your sweet potatoes, until edges and tops are golden brown, and potatoes are tender.

Let cool for 5 minutes before removing with a spoon. Top with reserved butter garlic mixture. 

Happy Cooking!


Missy

No comments