Mockmole and Mississippi (Broccoli cheese stuffed chicken with gravy over loaded cauliflower)

After I made the yummy pork dish for my sister and brother in law a few weeks ago, my sister's best friend called me and asked me if she could book me for a My Shitty Kitchen on the road post.  I figured why the heck not, I love hanging out with my sister from another mister and she has the cutest kids (after my own nieces and nephew of course!)  So we decided on a menu and I trekked out to Kenna brah to visit The Crawleys, including the adorable twins.  Their momma kept telling them to show Aunt Missy (insert something cute here).  By the end of the evening, they were calling me Mississippi!  Their dad is from the state so I guess how they knew how to say that word at 2 and a half!

Their daddy was heading out to play pool and was having a snack of guacamole since he was going to miss dinner.  One of the twins asked what he was eating, and when he responded guacamole, she exclaimed, "I want some mockmole!"  So that is how this post came to be titled "Mockmole and Mississippi"

Mockmole, Mississippi and Luke having grilled cheese

Now on to the food!  I pinned this recipe a little while back because I love a stuffed chicken and a pan sauce and a broccoli and cheese one sounded phenomenal!  It wasn't my usual kind of pan sauce as it included milk,  Next time I will use my usual pan sauce recipe with chicken broth, wine and mustard.  Not that this wasn't good, I just prefer that taste.  And I wanted some color!  This was a very beige meal that reminded me of, funnily enough, visits to Mississippi to see my friend Chelsea's family.  We always had beige meals there and I always had to add something green to make me feel better. I added some garnish to this one for the same purpose.

The chicken was great!  I deviated from the original recipe but I bet it would be just as good. I made fully loaded cauliflower as it was requested.  I made it before  but actually never wrote down the recipe so you will get it here. Full recipe after the montage!

The cast of characters minus the spices
How cute are those elf pajamas?  They wanted to help me so I let them play Vanna White with the ingredients.  In related news, their mom was on Wheel of Fortune one time and was a big winner!
Action shot of me pounding the chicken.
Nice and thin and ready to roll!
Chopping broccoli!
I did cheddar and sour cream instead of laughing cow.
Roll it up!  I used plastic wrap to get it really tight.
That didn't really work so I used some trusty string.
Get a good sear on them and then put them in a preheated oven.
Start assembling the pan sauce, scrape up the bits
Add the milk and spices and let reduce down
Looking good out of the oven.  Broccoli and cheddar were just made for each other!
And voila!  I added some green onions for color.  Such a pretty plate!
Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken (Adapted from Zoomyummy)

Small chicken breasts (1 per serving)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
medium head of broccoli, chopped into florets (about a cup and a half of florets)
Seasoned salt
non-stick cooking spray
1 can of chicken broth
1/2 cup of milk (i used 2%)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Pound out chicken breasts until thin. I placed in a plastic bag and pounded with a rolling pin. Sprinkle the chicken generously with seasoning. In a bowl mix broccoli florets sour cream and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Place a scoop of the mix at one end of a chicken breast and wrap it up tight. You can use plastic wrap to assist you in rolling the breast and forming it. Spray skillet with cooking spray, put on med heat. Once hot, add the stuffed breasts. Cook on one side for 4 minutes. Gently flip the breasts, to ensure even cooking. Remove them to a sprayed oven proof dish and place in preheated oven. Add broth to skillet and scrape up any brown bits. Add milk and increase the heat to med-high, to quickly reduce. Pour the sauce over breasts and serve.

Cauliflower:

1 Large Cauliflower Head
Water
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 to 1 cup cheddar (depending on your taste)
1 tablespoon butter
chopped green onions
you can add bacon too but I didn't
salt and pepper to taste

Cut off large stems of cauliflower and chop up the remaining pieces. Boil cauliflower in water for 20 minutes (or until fork tender) Place cauliflower in a food processor or blender and blend a bit. Add rest of until ingredients and blend until cauliflower is completely mashed and ingredients are blended. Season with salt and pepper.

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments