Is that really vegan? (Veganish hummus avocado and tomato toasts)

This recipe is the bomb dot com.  I am pretty sure I pinned this when I was vegan for a hot minute but also maybe for my friends Delaney and Catherine in Austin who were vegan and gluten free because of health problems.  Whatever the case, this recipe is delicious and you won't believe it is vegan!  Well, depending on the kind of bread you use.  I used to make my own bread when I made this or made sure the bread I used was vegan and or gluten free.  Now to save time and energy, I use the mini pumpernickel toasts, which I am not sure if they are vegan or not.  

I made these for my mom's best friend's daughter's bridal shower about a year ago.  These people were not vegan in any way shape or form. Everyone raved about them and asked for the recipe! They were shocked at how easy and vegan it was.  I decided to make these for the New Year's Eve party just in case there were any vegetarians.  They were a hit as usual.  

The balsamic tomatoes are so delicious and add a punch of flavor.  Not that the hummus and guacamole didn't add their own flavor.  When I make a small batch I use fresh avocado like the original recipe, but nothing beats the flavor or Wholly Guacamole! (They didn't pay me to say that, I really love it!)  Make these next time you have a party, you will not be disappointed!  Full recipe after the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday!


Veganish hummus avocado and tomato toasts
Thank you photography class!
Veganish hummus avocado and tomato toasts
The good stuff.  I am super partial to my Sabra hummus and Wholly Guacamole just like I am to my brand of red beans.  Guess that is the New Orleans lady in me!
Veganish hummus avocado and tomato toasts
Slice tomatoes into thick rounds.  You should get 3 to 4 from each.
Veganish hummus avocado and tomato toasts
I did this for time and mess purposes, usually you just sprinkle over the tomatoes, but I had no foil and got too frazzled and went with this method.  I am sure it didn't matter that much.
Veganish hummus avocado and tomato toasts
They just look delicious! You can also do this step a day or two ahead of time.
Veganish hummus avocado and tomato toasts
If you are lucky enough to have two ovens, or heck, something fancier than an easy bake oven, you could toast the bread and roast the tomatoes at the same time.  I alas could not.
Veganish hummus avocado and tomato toasts
Toast, hummus, guac, tomato.  So colorful and so tasty.  And pretty too.
(only took 6 shots but still got the Mac in it)





Veganish Party toasts: (Adapted from Everything Fabulous) Makes about 27 individual servings

Ingredients:
One pack pumpernickel party toasts
9-10 roma tomatoes
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
Large family size premade guacamole (I prefer Wholly Guacamole)
Large family size container hummus (I prefer Sabra brand)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Arrange the tomatoes on your baking sheet in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until the tomatoes are beginning to caramelize. Place toasts on a baking sheet and toast in the same oven or a separate one for 10 -15 minutes until crisp. Spread 1/2-1 tsp of hummus on each toast, followed by 1/2-1 tsp of guacamole and then place a tomato slice on top. Arrange on a platter and serve. 


Happy Cooking!


Missy
P.S. Doing a link up! Check out some other great blogs!

No comments