I was craving chicken wings, and then I chickened out (ranch slaw with buffalo chicken)

As I have told you time and time again, I love buffalo flavored things. I just can't get enough of it. I had a couple of wings a few weeks ago to tame my craving, but I wanted more. As I am a lady over 35 now and have to watch my girlish figure, Buffalo Wings are not on the regular rotation as much as I want them to be. I was craving them one football Sunday recently but thought better of it and came up with something much healthier and low carb to have sort of the same effect.  Well, maybe only in my mind...

This is not a chopped challenge of myself like I usually do as I actively bought some ingredients, but I guess that may make it more like the real TV show! But wait, I just didn't have slaw, so maybe this does count!  The chicken gives you the nice mouthburn of wings, and the slaw gives the cooling effect of ranch and the classic crunch of carrots and celery.  It tasted like wings, but it was a lot cleaner to eat and I didn't feel gross after.

This is a great party recipe that gives you all the flavor of Buffalo Wings without all the calories.  A perfect option for the ladies or low carbers at your Superbowl party!  I don't like blue cheese, but that would be a great addition!  Try this out if you are buffalo flavor lover like me!  Full recipe after the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday over at Southern Plate and others!

The cast.  That is leftover rotisserie chicken that I had in the freezer.  I'm a frugal lawyer, I keep everything!  Also pictured, cheddar, yogurt ranch, celery, buffalo sauce and cole slaw mix.
Toss your chicken with sauce and let marinate while you assemble.
Chop celery and add to slaw.  Add cheese and dressing.
Toss to combine.
I decided I wanted the contrast of hot and cold so I  heated the chicken in a pan 

 Place chicken on top of slaw.  If you think this picture looks different than above, you are right.  I made this twice and blogged once!

Mix together and enjoy the guiltless flavors of wings!

Buffalo Chicken Cabbage Slaw (No Mayo!)

I'll just tell you how to make for a crowd
One bag coleslaw mix
1 cup shredded carrots (unless they are already in your coleslaw mix)
3 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 cup of sharp cheddar
1/2 cup of ranch dressing (I used yogurt based to make it healthier)
1 pound of leftover shredded chicken (or cook some up)
1/2 cup of buffalo wing sauce

Mix chicken and buffalo sauce well and set aside.  Chop your celery and toss with slaw mix, cheddar and dressing.  Heat your chicken in a pan if desired.  Once heated through add it on top your coleslaw mix.  Toss well to combine.

This was so easy and so good I made it again for lunch the next day!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments