My casserole brings all the boys to the yard (buffalo chicken jalapeno popper casserole)

Back when this blog wasn't even a thought in my head I used to post what I had for dinner on Facebook and email the recipe to those that asked for it.  I have told you before how I love buffalo sauce flavored things. One of my old Facebook days recipes was called "Put a ring on it Buffalo Chicken Lasagna." It got more girls' attention than boys, but I guess that is to be expected.  It even got a ring on it for one of my friends (probably not, but I take credit when I can!)  I have been back in a buffalo flavored mood, probably because it is football season.  I pinned this recipe a few weeks ago because it grabbed my attention and reminded me of that lasagna post.  Who wouldn't get stopped by a recipe called Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Popper Casserole with a low carb hashtag!  I, of course, made some needed changes, especially taking out the mayo as I am #teamnomayo.

I went to an impromptu happy hour the day I made this and made some lovely new friends. On the way home I was looking at the recipe hungrily, wondering how I could cut the cooking time down. (at red lights only, of course)  I accomplished that, added some yummy flavor and enjoyed the you know what out of it. It didn't bring all the boys to my yard, but that is probably a good thing with all the crime in this town!  Full recipe after the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday.  Y'all click on over and see all the good stuff!

The cast minus onion and garlic which I decided to add later.
Also, I only used one of the cream cheeses as I wanted to stay healthy.
A little crowded in the grill pan!
Nothing like the smell of bacon cooking...are we sure this dish is healthy?
Add jalapeno, onion and garlic to the party and revel even more in the smell!
Add the good stuff.  Wish you had a microwave to soften the cream cheese.
Looks kind of gross, tastes amazing!
Layer your chicken in a sprayed casserole dish
Layer with the gross looking good tasting mixture
Add cheese on top and forget to take a picture.  Place in oven to melt cheese and then top with more jalapeno.
Place under the broiler to finish.  mmmmm
Serve and eat more than you usually would as it is low carb and relatively healthy!

Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Popper Casserole (borrowed from here)

  • 6 small boneless skinless Chicken Thighs
  • 4 slices Bacon chopped
  • 3 medium Jalapenos 2 chopped, the third sliced into rings (De-seed if you aren’t a fan of spicy)
  • one small onion chopped
  • two cloves garlic minced
  • 8 oz. Low-fat Cream Cheese
  • 1 5.8 oz. container of fat-free plain greek yogurt
  • Shredded Cheddar (2 handfuls)
  • 1/4 cup buffalo style hot sauce
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
Preheat oven to 400.  Season chicken with seasoned salt or salt and pepper and cook in a grill pan or skillet over medium heat about 7 minutes each side. At the same time, add bacon to a pan over medium heat. Once bacon is mostly crisped, add 2 chopped jalapenos, onions and garlic into the pan. Once veggies are soft and cooked, add cream cheese, yogurt, and buffalo sauce to the pan. Mix together and season to taste.  Lay chicken into a 9x9 greased casserole dish, then spread cream cheese mixture over it, then top with cheese.  Bake for 10-15 minutes at 400F. Broil for 3-5 minutes to finish. Top with the third jalapeno before you broil.

Also, I want to give a shout out to my blogging inspiration Amanda at Meet at the Barre for helping me to figure out how configure the new layout without hitting the debt diet hard.  It looks so much better right? 

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments