I thought a dandelion was a flower? (sauteed dandelion greens and "grilled" pork steak)

I got a Hollygrove Market box one week even though it wasn't chock full of my fall favorites like it was the week before.  One item was dandelion greens.  I love me some greens, trust me!  I figured they would be good cooked with some pork as most greens are.  I wanted to try it with pork, though,as a side, not cooked with bacon as I usually do.  I headed to the google and found this simple and right up my alley recipe on Epicurious.  The pork steak you see in the pics was the only item of local pork in Rouses I decided just to season and "grill". We were more pork chop people with Oven Fry (Which is not unlike shake and bake, although much tastier) when I was growing up. Ah memories.  Full recipe after the montage.

The cast.  I left out the rub I used on the pork.  I got it as a favor at a shower randomly.   
Wash and cut your greens and cut into 2 inch pieces
Blanch them.  Or just boil them for 10 minutes then make sure you stop the cooking
I had to pull out the old, less fancy knife to smash the garlic.  After a day of doing litigation work, it felt good.
Rubbed down the pork steak with the aformentioned rub.
Didn't even have to go outside to get these grill marks!
Garlic and chili flakes to flavor the oil.
Sautee your greens in the spicy goodness
This stuff is my jam.  Such a great dipping sauce. You can buy it online!  Jack Millers is good too
My plate, so delicious!


The greens were very bitter but the vinegar really helped to counteract that.  I love bitter green things though so I may be a bit biased!  This recipe would be great with any kind of greens or kale.  If you tried spinach that would be good too, but I wouldn't blanch it first.

Sauteed Dandelion Greens: (Borrowed from Epicurious)

3 pound dandelion greens, tough lower stems discarded and leaves cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
5 large garlic cloves, smashed
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

Cook greens in a 10-to 12-quart pot of boiling salted water (3 tablespoons salt for 8 quarts water), uncovered, until ribs are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain in a colander, then rinse under cold water to stop cooking and drain well, gently pressing out excess water.
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then cook garlic and red-pepper flakes, stirring, until pale golden, about 45 seconds. Increase heat to medium-high, then add greens and sea salt and sauté until coated with oil and heated through, about 4 minutes.   Put a bunch of splashes of red wine vinegar over them to brighten them up.

"Grilled" Pork steaks:

Depending on the size of the pork steak, you will need one or half per person.  
some sort of BBQ rub, about 1/4 cup

Rub the pork steaks with the rub.  Place on a heated grill pan.  Cook for 5 minutes on each side, then an additional 2 minutes on each side if it needs it.

Happy Cooking!

Missy


No comments