Kate tested, mother approved (Beef with Broccoli)

My best friend Toni and I talk whenever we can about various topics.  She called me recently and asked if I could find a good beef with broccoli recipe that she and her family could enjoy.  She had some trouble with other ones she had tried.  I decided to borrow my oldest niece and my extremely picky and will tell you what she thinks mom for some research.  Sisters and I loved it, Kate gobbled it up without complaint (well not the broccoli, had to bribe her with mug brownies to eat that!) and Mimi of course thought it was too thick and just okay, but gobbled it up anyway.  I made Kate's ahead of time and left out the oyster sauce just in case.  I will try to explain how I did all of this as well as I can!

Oh and also this is the Pioneer Woman's recipe.  I have never made anything of hers that disappoints. I miss having "real" cable and watching her on Saturday mornings!  Full recipe after the montage.

As you can tell this is a My Shitty Kitchen on the road post.  My sister's kitchen is amazing!
Garlic and ginger minced.  I used more garlic than normal as usual.
The sauce, it smelled so good!
I added some onions to the broccoli for more flavor.
Thin slice and flash fry.  Cue Mimi "you keeping some rare for me?" 
Make the yummy sauce.  Take some out for the picky people before you put in the oyster sauce.


Picky Kid approved!  Just look at that smile!
We kept each component separate while we put the kids to bed and then reassembled.  Just kept it all warm in the oven.
Delicious! Didn't even need any rice!

Beef With Broccoli (Borrowed from the Pioneer Woman)

Ingredients

1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce (DO NOT use regular, your blood pressure will spike)
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 tablespoons sherry
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 pound flank steak, trimmed of fat and sliced very thin against the grain
3 tablespoons sesame oil
1 pound broccoli florets
One large onion, cut into half moons
1/4 cup beef broth
1/4 cup oyster sauce
rice for serving

Directions

In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce, cornstarch, sherry, brown sugar, ginger and garlic. Set aside

Heat the oil in a heavy skillet (iron is best) or wok over high heat. Add the broccoli and onion and stir for a few minutes until desired tenderness. Remove to a plate.

Allow the skillet to get very hot again. With tongs, add the meat in a single layer. (You will have to do this in batches) Spread out the meat as you add it to skillet, but do not stir for a good minute. (You want the meat to get as brown as possible in as short amount a time as possible.) Turn the meat to the other side and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove to a clean plate.

(Here is where if you want to feed the picky kids, you add a little sauce, a little meat, some rice and veggies and a splash of the broth.  Stir fry for a minute to combine and serve.)

Pour the reserved sauce into the skillet along with the beef broth and oyster sauce. Cook over high heat until it starts to thicken. Add the beef and broccoli back into the skillet and toss to coat. Serve over cooked rice.  

I will agree with Mimi,  this was a pretty thick sauce.  I liked it.  But you can add a bit more beef broth or soy sauce if you want it thinner.

Happy Cooking!

Missy 

No comments