Meatless Monday with a last minute casting change! (Modified for my pantry Shakshouka)

Well, I am lying a little in the title because it was actually meatless Tuesday, but that doesn't sound quite the same. I was supposed to make this Monday, but I got peer pressured to go to Juan's Flying Burrito after my late work meeting.  If you know me, you know that consisted of minimal arm twisting! It was delicious, a good time and a great decompress session.

I had lunch with one of my high school besties at City Greens Tuesday and had a vegetarian salad.  I also scored some super cute cheap pants for Pure Barre and she gave me a slow cooker!  Crock pot meals to come!  I made Tuesday into a full meatless day by making modified Shakshouka loosely based on this recipe from Bon Appetit.  I love Shakshouka and last had it at the fabulous Shaya.  I could never aspire to cook as well a James Beard award winner like the chef there, but I wanted to try to make a modified version at home that would have a fraction of the tastiness.

Since I was making this only and not the other recipe that was calling for chickpeas and tomatoes this week (due to the Juan's arm twisting), I decided to cut it in half and use a half can of black beans I had leftover and some fire roasted tomatoes and chiles instead of the whole cans of the others.  It became more Central American than Central Mediterranean, but it was still delicious!  

This pic is first to make the Facebook page look prettier.  Even blogs are vain on Faccebook! Also pictured, my book club book I neglected to finish.
The cast minus the garnish, I didn't use the lemon.
I was hoping to take out my contacts early...these onion and jalapeno combos are killing me!
My super cute grandma made that cast iron mini pot holder for my cousins and me one year!
It looks like huevos rancheros in the making!
The feta makes it less huevoy and more Shakshoukay.  These are not real words. 
Please refrain from comparing some elements of this photo and next to some female body parts...
I overcooked accidentally because I didn't trust my shitty easy bake oven.
The finished product with some yummy garnish!

Modified Shakshouka, serves 2

1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded, finely chopped
1/2 can black beans, drained
2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup coarsely crumbled feta
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped green onion

Preheat oven to 425°. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeños; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Add beans, paprika, and cumin and cook for 2 minutes longer.  Add tomatoes (do not drain). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens slightly, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle feta evenly over sauce. Crack eggs one at a time and place over sauce, spacing evenly apart. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until whites are just set, but yolks are still runny, 5 minutes or less. Garnish with parsley, cilantro and green onion.

I'm going to point out that I went against two long-standing southern girl don'ts tonight, putting tomatoes in cast iron and washing it with soap! At least I don't wear white pants after labor day?  I'll teach you how to clean the cast iron in a future post about my favorite cooking tools!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

No comments