A definite oldie but a goodie (Roasted vegetable soup)

I grew up attending an elementary school with no cafeteria so I always brought my lunch to school, even when I got to high school and there was a cafeteria. Except on red beans and fried chicken day! My dad, until recently, always came home for lunch or brought it so I guess I modeled myself after him.  It is very rare that I go out to lunch these days as I am working through it or heading to Pure Barre.  And also because it is more expensive and way more caloric that something I can make myself!  

I have been making this soup for years. It is is hearty and vegan if you leave out the Parmesan garnish and use veggie broth.  Roasting the vegetables deepens the flavor so much you would never know that it was so quick and easy.  And meatless for that matter.  If you want meat, some sort of stew meat would be delightful in here.  Or some cooked to death brisket.  I gained a few holiday pounds so this was a perfect slow your roll lunch.  It freezes well and gets better tasting the more time it has to meld the flavors together.  

This is a great start off the new year right recipe if you want to do some lighter healthier eating.  This is a healthified version of the Pioneer Woman's Minestrone, you you know it has to be good! Nothing is better than a hearty cup of soup to warm you up on a cold day as well.  I am freezing as I write this, I wish I had some now! Full recipe after the montage, please enjoy!  Linking up with Meal Plan Monday, click on over and check it out!

The cast.  The tomato paste was in my freezer as was homemade beef broth in the plastic container.

Cut up your zucchini and squash
Add the mushrooms and toss with olive oil and seasoned salt (or just salt and pepper)
Chop you mirepoix.  That's French for onions carrots and celery.  Or not.
Roast the tossed vegetables.  They had been roasting for a little bit when I took this. I was lost in my chopping and forgot to take a before pic.  
I couldn't forget the garlic!
After the onions, carrots and celery is cooked to your liking, add the tomato paste and garlic.
My broth was still a little frozen so I had to cook it longer than the instructions call for.
Once it was completely melted and cooking, add the tomatoes, white beans and green beans.
And finally add your roasted vegetables.
Parcel it out and enjoy!
Roasted Vegetable Soup (borrowed from The Way the Cookie Crumbles)

Ingredients:

2 zucchini, diced into ½-inch cubes
2 summer squash, diced into ½-inch cubes
8 ounces white mushrooms, quartered
2 tablespoons olive oil
seasoned salt
2 carrots, sliced
1 onion, diced
3 stalks celery, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
8 cups broth of your choice
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed
1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used frozen)
parmesan cheese for garnish

Heat the oven to 500 degrees. Toss the zucchini, squash, and mushrooms in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a sprinkling of seasoned salt. Divide the vegetables between two baking sheets and roast in the hot oven for 10-15 minutes, or until brown and black parts begin to show  You will want to stir them around halfway through. Remove from the oven and set aside.  While they are roasting, heat another tablespoon of olive oil in a Dutch oven (or soup pot if you don't have one) over medium heat. Add the carrots, onions, and celery; cook until just beginning to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in the broth, tomatoes with their juice, and some salt and pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the cannellini beans and green beans; simmer for fifteen minutes, until the green beans are just tender. Stir in the roasted vegetables. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt if necessary. Serve with parmesan.

No comments