The perfect pairing in many ways (brisket cabbage soup)

I love food.  I love beards.  I love the blog The Food in My Beard.  I love brisket.  I love cabbage. How could I not love Brisket and Cabbage Soup?  After thanksgiving gluttony this sounded like a perfect transition meal, low carb and comforting.  It felt a bit silly to make this is 80 degree weather but it is tasty at any time in any temperature!  I overcooked my brisket due to an impromptu glass of wine after a mani pedi, but with cooking brisket, more is more.  

I was kind of taken aback at the thought of putting potato flakes in the soup.  It sounded weird so I didn't get them.  I had a change of heart when I was at my parents' house the weekend I made this.  I thought for sure that Mimi, lover of squeeze butter, premade pancakes and already peeled garlic would have such a thing in her pantry.  Alas, none were to be found.  I could not fathom running to the corner market just for potato flakes, so I boiled 4 new potatoes to death and added those broken up.  It did not achieve the desired effect.  If you are making this, I would suggest putting the flakes in it.  I'll even leave them in the ingredient list for you!  Full recipe after the montage. Linking up with Meal Plan Monday.

The ingredients. That is coriander in the jar that I purchased at the greatest place on earth Central Market.  Meaning it probably needs to be thrown out, I haven't lived near a CM in over 2 years!


I removed as much of the fat as I could while cutting up the brisket.  I may or may not have arranged them for the photo to show minimal fat.  I feel like one of those fashion mags now....
Get a good sear on them.  This was probably too crowded, I should have split them up,
but they were giving up a codependent vibe and I felt bad.
Add two cups of beef broth to the party and throw them in the oven.
Chop an onion
Chop carrots and celery and use the blurry wrong setting on your camera.
Chop up the cabbage as best you can.
Saute your veggies, but give the onions a head start.
Add cabbage and garlic.  Use that setting on your camera again...
I ran out of liquid so I added some red wine to the pan to scrape up the burnt parts and rewet the meat.  Yes I think rewet is a word even though it probably isn't.
Pour all that goodness in and some more liquids and cook until done.  Here's where you would add potato flakes.
All parceled out for lunch for me and my taste testers.  The verdict was delicious!

Brisket and Cabbage Soup

2 Pounds Brisket
6 Cups Beef Stock (divided)
1 tbsp butter
1 Onion Diced
5 Carrots Chopped
3 Celery Stalks Chopped
1/2 A Large Head of Cabbage Chopped
5 Cloves Garlic
5 Sprigs Thyme
1 Teaspoon Coriander
2 cups water
Potato Flakes

Chop the beef into cubes. Sear on all sides. Add 2 cups of beef stock. Scrape the bottom of the pan. Put into the oven at 300 for  2 hours.  After the beef has been in a little over an hour, start cooking the onion in butter for about 6-7 minutes. Add the carrot and celery next and cook another 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook 7-8 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Add in the thyme and coriander and cook 2 minutes. Add the stock. Take the beef out of the oven and pour the whole contents into the pot. Simmer until the beef is tender, another half hour to an hour. Fish the beef out of the pot and shred it before adding it back in. Add the water and cook for 10 more minutes. Add about 1/2 cup of potato flakes and stir and bring to a simmer. Add more if needed until you reach the desired thickness. Serve and enjoy.  Even better leftover!

Happy Cooking!

Missy

BTW: This appears in the Meal Plan Monday Link up.  It's the best!  Click on over to play!

No comments